Reporting hazards

The following procedures apply to any non-emergency situation where an individual observes a health and safety concern or hazard.

In the event of an emergency or to obtain first aid or medical assistance, please call Campus Security at 250-721-7599. Call 911 if requiring ambulance, police or fire.

  • Health and safety concerns or hazards must be reported to the supervisor or department
  • Concerns may be reported using the Departmental Incident & Investigation Report
  • The supervisor is responsible to address the issue in a timely manner and take appropriate corrective actions
  • If the issue is not resolved to the satisfaction of all parties, the individual should forward the concern to their local safety committee (LSC) for assistance
  • The LSC should review the issue and make a recommendation to the appropriate department supervisor
  • If the issue remains unresolved, then the LSC should forward the issue to the University Safety Committee (USC) for assistance
  • The USC should review the issue and make a recommendation to the appropriate department supervisor
  • If the issue is still unresolved WorkSafeBC should be contacted for assistance

The first line of reporting for faculty, staff and students is the supervisor. However, if an individual is unable or uncomfortable reporting to their supervisor then they should report the concern to another management representative from the department, their union representative or local safety committee, or OHSE.


Visitors should report any campus health and safety concern or hazardous condition to Campus Security at 250-721-7599.

Contractors should report any campus health and safety concern or hazardous condition to the assigned Project Officer in Facilities Management or departmental contact person.  

Managers and supervisors are responsible to address reported health and safety concerns or complaints in a timely manner.  Resolving a complaint may involve the assistance of other departments depending on the issue. Some common examples include the following:

Building maintenance

Any non-emergency issues involving plumbing, heating and ventilation, electrical and building infrastructure (e.g. leaking pipes, lighting, torn carpeting, loose hand rails, etc.) should be reported to Facilities Management (FMGT). The department supervisor should initiate a FMIS service request to FMGT for assessment and repairs.

Indoor air quality (IAQ)

IAQ issues are often complex and may be related to occupant activities, building systems and the external environment, or a combination of factors. If the source of the problem is not immediately apparent, the supervisor should contact or for assistance. FMGT and OHSE will work collaboratively to investigate the problem which may include inspections of the building and HVAC systems, and air quality tests.

Grounds and parking lots

Any concerns observed on campus property including slip/trip hazards on sidewalks, building entrances, or grounds should be reported to .

Any concerns about parking areas including lighting, equipment, or slip/trip hazards should be reported to Campus Security.

Personal safety and security

Any concerns about suspicious behaviour, theft or personal safety (including potential aggression, violence or threatening behaviours) should be reported to Campus Security.

Other health and safety concerns

Please contact if you require advice or assistance with any health and safety concern not included in the above list. This may include issues involving training, personal protective equipment, safety equipment, risk assessments, safe work procedures, safety programs/services and regulatory requirements.