Planning your travel

Government of Canada removes COVID-19 testing requirements for air travellers from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong and Macao

As of 12:01 a.m. EDT on March 17, 2023, air travellers to Canada on flights originating from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong or Macao are no longer required to provide evidence of a COVID-19 test result before boarding.

For more information:

All COVID-19 emergency border measures have ended

All federal border testing, quarantine, and isolation requirements have now ended. 

Travel restrictions may change with little warning. Please visit the Government of Canada’s COVID-19: Travel, testing and borders website for the most up-to-date information on planning your travel.

Last updated: March 21, 2023

On this page:

Step 1. Confirm entry requirements for Canada

Before you travel, you should ensure that you meet the requirements for entry to Canada.

International students must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit, unless you are exempt (for example, if your program of study is six months or less).
  2. Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a valid temporary resident visa (also known as a visitor visa, student visa, or TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Although COVID-19 emergency border measures have ended, if you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should not travel to Canada. For more information, including what to do if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 while in transit, please visit the Government of Canada COVID-19: Travel, testing and borders website.

Step 2. Submit travel information via ArriveCAN, if applicable

ArriveCAN is a federal government app you can use to submit travel information if you are flying into select airports in Canada. Use of ArriveCAN is no longer mandatory.

  • If your initial flight into Canada will arrive at one of the following airports, you can use ArriveCAN to complete an advance customs and immigration declaration, which may help you save time upon arrival:
    • Vancouver international airport (YVR)
    • Toronto Pearson international airport (YYZ) (Terminals 1 and 3)
    • Montreal-Trudeau international airport (YUL)
    • Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (YWG)
    • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
    • Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
  • Using ArriveCAN is free! Do not engage with any websites or apps that demand payment for using ArriveCAN.
Step 3. Ensure you have the necessary documents for travel

You must carry supporting documents to demonstrate you meet the requirements for entry to Canada.

Please ensure you have the following documents with you for travel:
  • Valid passport, or other accepted travel document
  • Valid temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization (if required)
  • Valid study permit or letter of introduction that shows you have been approved for a study permit.
  • Valid letter of acceptance from UVic (note: this is also called a study permit information letter)
    • If your study permit information letter has expired and you would like to request a new one, you may do so through UVic Online Tools> Online Request Forms.
    • Please note that this letter takes multiple business days to process, so if you would like one for travel you should request it well in advance.
  • Verification of enrolment (VOE) at the University of Victoria for the current or upcoming term
    • As soon as you have course registration with UVic, you will have access to your term-by-term VOE through UVic Online Tools> Online Request Forms.
  • Proof of a valid immigration medical examination (if required)
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result, if required (for details, see Step 1. Confirm entry requirements for Canada)
  • ArriveCAN receipt, if you have submitted information via ArriveCAN

If you have any questions about your travel documents, you should connect with an International Student Adviser (ISA) prior to travelling. Please email your questions to .

You should also:

  1. Arrange for appropriate travel insurance, as circumstances and restrictions may change.
  2. Ensure you have appropriate health insurance in place. Most new students are automatically covered for their first term of registration by the plan. Returning students should contact International Centre for Students with questions.

Updated March 2023🡹