Financial Aid & Awards

Teaching Assistantships
Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships

When it comes to grad school, we want you to focus on your creative practice, not your finances — which is why we award all our graduate students Teaching Assistantships.

For your first year, this will give you just under $10,000 (additionally graduate funding may be available, dependent on grade point average); in your second year, our grads are offered teaching roles for one term, which increases available funding to approximately $13,500. You will be notified of current financial support in your acceptance notification.

Teaching Assistantships are available through the Department of Visual Arts for paid employment as Academic Assistants. Such employment is negotiated through Visual Arts (not through the Faculty of Graduate Studies) at rates of pay determined by UVic.

Additional scholarships

You can also apply for the  Canadian Graduate Scholarship – Master’s Program (SSHRC) and there are  additional UVIc scholarships available. Please check the information at our  office of Student Awards and Financial Aid, and remember to explore opportunities for financial aid in your home province, territory or country.

See the  University Calendar and the  Student Financial Aid Office for further information on scholarships and bursaries.

The  Faculty of Graduate Study has more links to funding resources, and be sure to check there for information about minimum admission and continuing grade point average requirements for graduate funding.

Internal funding

University of Victoria Fellowships are awarded annually by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. To be considered for a fellowship, you must submit an application to Graduate Studies before the fellowship deadline. You must also have a minimum GPA average of 7.0 (UVic scale = approx. A- average, or 80%) in your last two undergraduate years and in every graduate year. Please follow these links to find more information on how to  receive & retain UVic graduate scholarships.

External funding 

There are also a number of national and provincial granting agencies that fund graduate students and their research, such as: