Welcome Humanities

Application deadline extended to January 28th! Apply on the Humanities and Fine Arts Co-op section of our website.

Co-op lets you alternate terms in class with terms working for employers in your field of study. It's also a perfect way to:

Gain experience and discover what you love

You'll try out different types of jobs and explore your career options.

Help cover your tuition

You'll earn a competitive co-op wage (approximately $3,000 per month).

Stand out to employers

Co-op grads tend to find work related to their degree faster and earn more money than students who don't participate in co-opemployers value co-op students' experience!

Travel while you learn

You could work for employers in Victoria, across Canada or internationally.


Do you identify as having a disability?
You can get support through your co-op experience from the CanWork Program, which supports undergraduate students who identify as having a disability or mental health challenge to gain paid work experience.

What is co-op?

What is co-op?

Co-op is an experiential learning program that helps you start building your career while you're still at university. It's designed to work around your academic courses, so you'll complement what you're learning in class with practical workplace experience. Co-op supports you in trying a range of jobs, gaining work experience and skills, and making connections with employers.

Co-op is flexible; you can be registered in either the traditional co-op or work experience program. You can transfer between work experience and traditional co-op depending on how many co-op terms you complete and whether you meet the co-op requirements.

  • Traditional co-op (co-op degree)
    • If you successfully complete all your required co-op work terms, you'll earn a co-op distinction on your degree
    • Undergraduate students must complete three work terms to earn the co-op distinction
  • Work experience program (WEP)
    • A shorter version of co-op—a great option for students who don't want to commit to three work terms, or are in the late stages of their degree
    • Students will complete 1-2 work terms

The application process and requirements for the work experience program is the same as for traditional co-op.

What are the application requirements?

You must meet the following requirements to apply to Humanities and Fine Arts (HUFA) Co-op and Work Experience Program (WEP).

If you successfully complete all your required co-op work terms, you'll earn a co-op distinction on your degree. Undergraduate students must complete three work terms to graduate with co-op designation.

Application requirements for undergraduate students:

  • be registered in:
    • a degree program (BA, BFA, BSc, BMus) at the University of Victoria in the Faculty of Humanities or Fine Arts OR
    • the English Minor in Professional Communication OR
    • the Fine Arts Minor in Professional Writing in Journalism and Publishing OR
    • the Diploma program in Intercultural Education and Training OR
    • the Cultural Resource Management Program OR
    • the Intercultural Education Program
  • be registered in a full course load (at least 6.0 units of course work per term)
  • have achieved at least a 5.0 GPA in a full course load in the previous term

Learn more about the Humanities and Fine Arts Co-op program!

What is required of you as a co-op student?

After you have been accepted to the co-op program, you'll need to fulfill certain requirements to participate in co-op and the Work Experience Program (WEP).

Before you start your first work term, you'll take a mandatory, one-time preparation course. Then, for each co-op work term, you'll complete competency assessments, have a work site visit and submit a work term report (or alternate submission).

Co-op requirements include:

What about fees?

All co-op and WEP students pay a tuition fee for the co-op program, just like for your regular courses. It's free to join co-op and attend the preparation course—you'll pay the tuition fee when you secure a work term.

Does co-op count towards academic credit?

For each completed work term, you will receive credits that contribute towards the Co-op designation you’ll receive on your degree when you graduate. Your co-op work term does not count towards your academic credit.

Learn more about how co-op works and the work term requirements on our website.

Where do co-op students work?

The possibilities are endless! You could work for:

  • Government (municipal, provincial or federal)
  • Theatres
  • Galleries
  • Libraries
  • Arts groups
  • Non-profit organizations
  • Newspapers and publishers
  • Private companies (all sizes)

Co-op job examples include:

  • Box office coordinator
  • Curatorial assistant
  • Junior analyst
  • Production and editorial assistant
  • Technical writer
  • 3D animation and digital media intern

and many more!

You can also check out our student experiences gallery for videos, photos, stories and more.

How to apply

 Next Intake Spring 2022.  Application deadline extended to January 28th.

Apply by logging into the Co-op & Career Portal. Use your UVic netlink ID and password. Once logged in, click “Co-op” on the navigation menu  (≡).  Then follow the prompts to complete your application. For assistance with applying, please email hufacoop@uvic.ca.

PLEASE NOTE: You will be unable to apply using the above method if:

  • You have previously been or are currently in another co-op program at UVic
  • You are NOT in the Faculty of Humanities or Fine Arts
  • You are trying to apply outside of the admission periods

If you are unable to apply through the portal due to these issues, please contact us at hufacoop@uvic.ca

Have more questions?

Contact your co-op coordinator to set up a virtual call or visit the Humanities and Fine Arts Co-op section of our website.

Contact HUFA Co-op