Co-op for graduate students

Co-op for graduate students
Public administration co-op student Emma Fraser spent a work term as a HR coordinator with the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development

Did you know that UVic is home to the largest graduate co-op program in Canada? Co-op can be an amazing addition to your master's or doctoral studies.

A third of co-op students find permanent positions with their former co-op employers after graduation, making co-op a smart choice to launch your career.

WHAT IS CO-OP? Check out general co-op information to learn more.

Graduate co-op eligibility

  • Co-op is available to graduate students in most program areas. 
  • Grad students are also eligible for the shorter Work Experience Program option.
  • For both programs, your admission will be determined after consultation with your graduate adviser and department.

Co-op and your graduate research

Grad students often arrange co-op work terms that are related to their final projects, theses or dissertations. You can apply for jobs posted by employers or talk to your co-op coordinator to arrange funding for a job specific to your research area. 

If you're already working closely with a faculty member or industry partner on a joint endeavor that's contributing to your graduate research project, you may be able to count this as a co-op work term. This arrangement would be at the discretion of your school or department and through consultation with your co-op coordinator and graduate adviser.

Academic credit

Grad students earn 3.0 units of credit for each co-op work term completed. These credits go towards the co-op designation you'll receive on your parchment upon graduation (they don't replace the credits you need to complete your academic program). You'll also have full-time student status during your work term.

How to apply

Please look up your co-op program for application details. If you have any questions, please contact your co-op office and they'll be happy to help.