University Systems help centre
Add a user to your SharePoint site
Note: To allow other authenticated users to access your SharePoint site you will need to be a member of the Owners group.
- Open a web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari) and navigate to your SharePoint site.
- Click on the Site Actions button and select Site Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Users and Permissions heading, click on the People and groups link to open the Permissions page.
- Click on the New button to open the Add Users page. (If you click on the arrow next to New, you will be allowed to add a new user or a new group. Click Add users to add a new SharePoint user.)
- To add specific users from the Global Address List, click on the Address Book icon.
- Type the name or NetLink ID of the person you wish
to add and click the
Find icon (the magnifying glass icon
next to the
Find text field).
- Click on the Add button to add this user. Click OK to close the dialog box.
- You will be returned to the Add Users page and will now be able to set specific permissions for the user. Available permissions include Full Control, Design, Contribute, and Read. Select the permission level you wish to grant this user and select Send a welcome e-mail to the new users (optional). This will send an email to the user detailing the permission level and include a link to the SharePoint site.
- Click OK to finish adding the new user.
Note: More information about permission levels can be
found by opening the SharePoint online help pages: click
the help icon and type
permissions into the search box.
- Access a SharePoint site
- Add an event to your SharePoint calendar
- Add a user to your SharePoint site
- Apply site themes in SharePoint
- Assign user permissions in SharePoint
- Break permission inheritance on a list or library
- Change the icon beside your SharePoint site title
- Connect your document library to Windows Explorer
- Create a new SharePoint calendar
- Create a new SharePoint group and assign permissions
- Create series items in a SharePoint meeting space
- Customize the default SharePoint calendar
- Customize the Quick Launch menu
- Customize the top link bar
- Edit permission assignments on permission levels
- Hierarchy and inheritance
- Inherit permissions for an item
- Introduction to SharePoint
- Manage permissions and security in SharePoint
- Open and edit a file in SharePoint
- Open a SharePoint calendar with Outlook
- Permission levels and types in SharePoint
- Recover deleted items
- Remove user permissions
- SharePoint list views
- SharePoint training sessions
- Show or hide tree view
- Using the Content Editor Web Part in SharePoint
- Versioning in SharePoint
- View permissions for users and SharePoint groups
- Working with SharePoint Calendars