University Systems help centre
Computing Services allows personal homepages on web.uvic.ca. This web space can be used to host web pages, where owners can add and maintain content as well as set permissions. All faculty, staff, and students are allotted 1 GB of disk space, to be used either for email or web space. All computing usage at UVic, including personal web spaces, are subject to policy IM7200.
When you are assigned a primary NetLink ID, you are automatically set up with a personal web site. The URL of your site includes your personal NetLink ID: http://web.uvic.ca/~NetLinkID, where NetLinkID is your personal NetLink ID.
To access your web space, ensure you have
To add files to your web space, you will need to connect to the unix.uvic.ca server using an SFTP client. Once connected, documents that you want to display on your site should go in the www folder.
You may also choose to restrict access to your website, since UVic websites are by default available to the public.
More information about creating web pages can be found on the UVic Communications website.
- Change access permissions of an item using an FTP client
- Connect to an SFTP Client
- Copy files using an SFTP client
- Create folders using an SFTP client
- Delete items using an SFTP client
- Restrict access to your website: Mac OS X
- Restrict access to your website: Windows
- Restrict access to your website using the UVic sign-in service
- Your UVic web space: where to start