University Systems help centre
Share calendar: Outlook 2010 and 2013
To provide others with the ability to view your calendar, you can share your calendar with specific people. If desired, you can also allow others to edit items on your calendar and schedule meetings on your behalf.
What is the difference between delegating a calendar and sharing one?
Delegate: When you delegate a calendar, you allow someone else to fully manage your calendar on your behalf. Please see Delegate Access: Outlook 2010 and 2013 for more information.
Sharing: When sharing your calendar with Editor permissions, you allow someone to create new meetings and make changes to your calendar on your behalf, but this person will not receive any meeting related emails. Any updates, cancellations, requests or other calendar related messages will not be received by this person.
- Select the Calendar you want to share from the task pane.
- Right-click the calendar and select Properties.
- Click the Permissions tab.
- Click Add... and search for and select the person you want to add from the Global Address List.
- Click Add -> then OK to add the person.
- Use the pull-down menu beside Permission Level and choose the appropriate level of permission for your calendar. Typical permissions are Reviewer, Author or Editor. You can find full details on the various permission levels at the end of this tutorial.
Click Apply then OK to save your changes.
- To change the permission levels on a shared calendar, return to the calendar Permissions tab, select the person(s) you want to modify, and use the Permission Level menu to set new permissions.
- Let the person you are sharing with know they can access the shared calendar. See our instructions for various email clients.
Permission level descriptions:
Owner: Create, read, modify and delete all items and files and create subfolders. As the folder owner, you can change the permission levels that other people have for the folder.
Publishing Editor: Create, read, modify and delete all items and files and create subfolders.
Editor: Create, read, modify and delete all items and files.
Publishing Author: Create and read items and files, create subfolders and modify and delete items and files that you create
Author: Create and read items and files and modify and delete items and files that you create.
Contributor: Create items and files only. The contents of the folder do not appear.
Reviewer: Read items and files only.