Frequently Asked Questions



Do I have to pay to use the services at the CAL?

No, CAL is a legally mandated unit that works collaboratively with your instructors to ensure your academic courses and learning materials are accessible, and that you receive the academic accommodations to which you are entitled. Any student with a documented disability or chronic health situation can register. The Learning Assistance Program (LAP), which is part of the CAL, does offer fee-based services that include tutors, learning strategists, and notetakers.

What do I need to provide to register with the CAL?

In order to register with the CAL, you must provide appropriate medical documentation that includes a formal diagnosis of a chronic or long-term health condition, or permanent disability. UVic Policy AC1205 and its Associated Procedures (PDF 516 KB) guide the process of requesting and receiving academic accommodations

I do not have any documentation – can I still register with the CAL?

We are unable to process applications that do not include medical documentation that meets University policy documentation requirements.

Where do I get medical documentation?

Check out the university policy documentation requirements page. This page details what your medical documentation should include and who can prepare the documentation for you.

I think I have a learning disability, but I have never been tested. Can I receive testing through the CAL?

The CAL does not currently offer psychoeducational assessments, but you can arrange an appointment to be assessed by any registered psychologist with experience in psychoeducational assessments in your area. Contact the CAL Front Desk at or 250-472-4947 and we can provide you with more information. Check out the university policy documentation requirements page for learning disability assessments and our FAQ for parents/guardians (PDF 81 KB).

I have my documentation ready. What are the next steps to register with the CAL?

To register with the CAL, you will need to complete the online pre-intake form. There you will need to upload your medical documentation, a signed consent form, and answer a few short questions.

How long does the CAL registration process take?

It depends on your timing! If you are hoping to have your academic accommodation plan in place for a September start, you should have the process completed by July 1st. Once you successfully complete the online pre-intake, it will be forwarded to your assigned CAL advisor. When your advisor has reviewed your application and medical documentation, they will generally contact you via email within 5-15 business days.

Your advisor will either ask you to contact the Front Desk to book an intake with them to finalize your CAL registration, or they will ask you to submit further medical documentation (if the documentation you have submitted does not meet University specified documentation requirements).

Is it too late to register with the CAL for this term?

While the CAL accepts applications year round, there are registration deadlines to receive accommodations for each term. The registration deadline for Winter Term 1 is October 31st, and the registration deadline for Winter Term 2 is February 28th. These deadlines are the latest you can submit your CAL registration (with all required documents) to receive accommodations for the specified term. If you apply after the deadline for a specific term, your application will be processed for the following term.

To help you avoid registration delays, the CAL has an Early Registration Period! Submit your complete pre-intake application between May 1st and July 1st to have your accommodation plan in place for the beginning of the September term. Note that a complete pre-intake includes medical documentation that meets University policy documentation requirements.

How do I know if you received my CAL pre-intake application?

When you successfully submit your online pre-intake, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you cannot find this email, we recommend that you check your junk/spam folders. Add to your email safe senders to be sure that messages from UVic don’t get caught in your spam folder. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we did not receive your application. You will have to re-submit the pre-intake form.

I am trying to submit my online pre-intake application, but it won't work. What should I do?

Please contact the CAL Front Desk at or 250-472-4947. You can also try using a different web browser to submit your pre-intake form.

I submitted my online pre-intake but I haven't heard back yet. What should I do?

Once you submit your online pre-intake, it is processed at the Front Desk and forwarded to your advisor for review. Once your advisor has reviewed your application, they will contact you by email with information about next steps. Depending on the time of year, it can take 5–15 business days or longer to receive this email from your advisor.

I have already completed my pre-intake application, but I was told that my medical documentation did not meet the University policy documentation requirements. I have updated documentation to submit. Who should I send this to?

Email an electronic copy of your documentation to the CAL Front Desk at The staff at the Front Desk will upload your documentation to your CAL application, and they will forward your application to your assigned advisor for their review. Your advisor will contact you via email with more information once they have reviewed your updated documentation.

I don't know my NetLink ID. Where do I find this?

You can learn more on UVic’s NetLink ID information page. If you need help with this service, contact the Computer Help Desk.