Documentation requirements

Before registering with CAL, UVic students who are requesting academic accommodations must provide documentation of their disability or chronic illness from an appropriate medical professional with specific expertise in the area of diagnosis.

Parents and guardians can find more information on our parents and guardians page.

UVic does not assume responsibility for identifying or diagnosing disabilities or chronic illnesses, nor does it provide funding for those purposes.

Please note that students do not need to disclose their disability or chronic illness when applying to UVic, unless they are applying under the special access category.

Recognized professionals

The Ministry of Advanced Education and the University of Victoria recognize the ability of the following professionals to diagnose and document disabilities and chronic illnesses:

  • Physical or mobility: physician
  • Vision: ophthalmologist, optometrist or orthoptist
  • Deaf or hard of hearing: certified audiologist
  • Neurological: neurologist, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist or physician
  • Psychiatric or mental health condition: clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, or physician with expertise in that area
  • Learning disability: registered clinical psychologist or certified school psychologist

Age of documentation

The documentation should be no older than three years, except for some learning disability assessments. You can find specific information on our learning disability assessments page.

Documentation requirements

The documentation must include the following:

  • the professional's name, title, phone number and address, official stamp or letterhead and signature
  • the date of the assessment
  • a statement of the nature of the disability including the DSM or ICD code and any impacts of medication
  • an explanation of the functional impact of the disability on your education

The documentation may also include recommendations for specific accommodation that will assist in the pursuit of a post-secondary education, linking the accommodation to the impact of the disability.

Grants from StudentAid BC have separate documentation requirements. You can find more information on our documentation for grant funding page.

Academic accommodations

If you've had academic accommodations before at your high school or college, you may find that your new accommodations are different. Accommodations are typically provided for students with documentation that outlines current barriers to tasks or activities that interfere with their ability to participate in post-secondary level studies. Diagnosis of a disability or chronic illness does not guarantee academic accommodations.


All submitted documentation is confidential, and not available to anyone outside CAL. The privacy of students is protected by the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the University’s Protection of Privacy policy GV0235 (PDF 832 KB). CAL needs consent from students to share necessary information with instructors for the purpose of academic accommodation.

If you have questions about how CAL handles confidential information, please contact the CAL Front Desk at or 250-472-4947, or the Privacy and Access Office at .