Accidents and reporting

You are required by law to report all safety concerns and incidents and is essential to preventing accidents and injuries. Resources and forms on reporting can be found with Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (OHSE).

Emergency or urgent event reporting

  • First, ensure you are safe. 
  • Leave any immediately dangerous area and go to a safe place to call for help or report from.
  • If there is an emergency, call 911 for fire, police, ambulance and Campus Security at 250-721-7599 and other emergency contacts as needed. 
  • Report the incident to your supervisor.  If they're not immediately available, report it to your unit's safety coordinator.

Non-emergency reporting

  • Report any safety concerns to your supervisor.  Concerns can be in relation to a procedure, equipment, facility or work environment that may be unsafe to you or others. 
  • If your supervisor is not immediately available, report your concern to your unit's safety coordinator. 
  • Remember that you have the right to training when taking on new tasks.  Let your supervisor know about any task that you have not been adequately trained to do.  Do not undertake a task you feel is unsafe.
  • If your safety concern is not addressed to your satisfaction by your supervisor, raise your concern with your local worker-employer joint safety committee

Safety Coordinators*

Unit Contact/ Email Phone Office
Biochemistry & Microbiology 250-721-8887 PCH 207a
Biology 250-721-7092 CUN 202a
Chemistry 250-721-7153 ELL 304
Earth & Ocean Sciences 250-721-6184 BWC A405 
Mathematics & Statistics 250-721-7459 DTB A436
Physics & Astronomy   250-721-7699 ELL 104

* If any of the above are not available in an urgent situation, contact that department's office or OHSE at 250-721-8971.