Withdrawal from UVic

A student may be suspended or required to withdraw from the University at any time for failure to abide by the University's regulations.

Refer to the Calendar entry for each faculty's regulations concerning mandatory withdrawal.

Withdrawal for unsatisfactory progress

Undergraduate students who have been placed on probation and whose progress is considered unsatisfactory may be required by their faculty to withdraw from the University for the remainder of the session.

A sessional grade point average and academic standing are assigned at the end of each session and are based on all final grades awarded (including N grades) during the session. Please see sessional grade point average and academic standing for information regarding minimum sessional grade point average standards.

Students required to withdraw for unsatisfactory progress will be notified by Undergraduate Records.

Students who are required to withdraw may submit an appeal to the Senate Committee on Admission, Reregistration and Transfer.

Voluntary withdrawal

If the academic drop deadline has passed and your academic courses are affected by extenuating circumstances such as illness, accident or family affliction, you may wish to request an academic concession.

Before withdrawing, students are encouraged to:

If you decide to withdraw:

  • Undergraduate students should drop their courses online and notify Undergraduate Records.
  • Graduate students must apply in writing to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
  • Law students should email the .

Contact Undergraduate Records for more information

Group/Position Name Telephone Office E-mail
General Inquiries 250-721-8121 JCC A115 studentsupport@uvic.ca
ON LEAVE Director, Undergraduate Records John Hall 250-721-8131 JCC A125 dirreco@uvic.ca

Business, Human & Social Development

Records Officer Anna Gardziejewska 250-721-6536 uro1@uvic.ca
Records Clerk Tim Carter 250-721-8133 JCC records1@uvic.ca

Humanities, Science, Social Sciences

Records Officer, Humanities Karsten Provan 250-472-5073 JCC A123 uro4@uvic.ca
Records Officer, Science Devin Stark 250-721-8652 JCC uro6@uvic.ca
Records Officer, Social Sciences Kelly McBeath 250-472-4625 JCC A129 uro2@uvic.ca
Records Clerk - last name A-L Val Oleson 250-721-8137 trifac1@uvic.ca
Records Clerk - last name M-Z Amanda Thornborough 250-853-3588 trifac3@uvic.ca


Records Officer Trish Birney 250-721-8134 JCC A131 uro3@uvic.ca
Records Clerk Bianca Widmer 250-721-8138 JCC reco3@uvic.ca

Engineering, CSC

Records Officer Alejandra De La Hoz 250-721-8120 JCC uro5@uvic.ca
Records Clerk (CSC) Katie Montgomery 250-472-5568 JCC reco1@uvic.ca
Records Clerk (BEng, BSEng) Bianca Widmer 250-721-8138 JCC reco3@uvic.ca

Fine Arts

Records Officer Karsten Provan 250-472-5073 JCC A125 uro4@uvic.ca
Records Clerk Amanda Thornborough 250-853-3588 JCC records3@uvic.ca


Records Officer Alejandra De La Hoz 250-721-8120 JCC uro5@uvic.ca
Records Clerk Bianca Widmer 250-721-8138 JCC records5@uvic.a

Graduation Services

Administrative Coordinator Kellee Strom 250-472-4623 JCC A118 gradserv1@uvic.ca
Administrative Coordinator Chriss Jones 250-472-4623 JCC A118 gradserv2@uvic.ca