Travel safety

castle image
UVic exchange student enjoys the stunning views of the ruined Castle Dunnottar in Scotland. Photo: Thea Smith

All students, faculty and staff planning international travel should take the initiative to learn about the countries in which they will be travelling and take reasonable precautions to ensure they stay healthy and safe. This includes becoming familiar with UVic's Off-Campus Activity Risk Management Policy.

The university has partnered with International SOS (ISOS) to offer emergency medical, safety and security advice, referrals and emotional support when travelling.

Please follow the steps provided below for students, faculty and staff travelling internationally.

Participants of domestic off-campus activities are encouraged to follow these steps to the extent as they apply to them and help mitigate their travel risk.

COVID 19 information


Column Box Student

Follow these steps if you are a UVic student travelling outside of Canada for any university-sanctioned activity.

Student safety

Faculty & Staff


Follow these steps if you are UVic faculty or staff travelling outside of Canada for any university-sanctioned activity.

Faculty & staff safety

Guidance for Leaders


Follow these steps if you are UVic faculty or staff responsible for organizing or supervising student trips abroad.

Info for leaders

“Off-campus activity” means a university organized or endorsed activity involving one or more university community members, which takes place beyond the boundaries of the University of Victoria campus. Such activities include:

  • fieldwork/field schools: any approved practical teaching and research activities carried out by faculty, staff, or students in the natural environment or community, away from the normal support networks of the university.
  • remote off-campus activities: any off-campus activity, including fieldwork or field schools, carried out in a location where it is difficult to summon help, and is separated by significant time or distance from emergency or medical assistance.
  • other examples include: student or faculty exchanges; cooperative education work term placements; practica; internships; travel/study programs; travel to attend conferences and university business; activities that are part of a university course or program (credit or non-credit); and university organized extracurricular or athletic activities.

This policy does not cover activities over which the university exercises no control and for which it can therefore take no responsibility. Specifically, among others, it does not cover:

  1. external activities (including consulting) undertaken by faculty, staff, or students that are not part of the individual’s employment responsibilities or academic program at the university;
  2. activities organized exclusively by students or student groups without expressed approval, sanction, or funding from the university;
  3. travel or activities of any person who is not a university community member as defined in this policy (e.g., a person accompanying a university community member traveling to attend a conference would not be considered an authorized volunteer because the accompanying individual is not traveling for the purpose of participating in the off-campus activity (the conference)); or
  4. personal travel undertaken before or after an off-campus university activity concludes.