Travel to the USA

Information about requirements for travelling to the United States of America is available on the Department of State's website at

Nationals of certain countries are subject to additional travel restrictions. These restrictions sometimes change without notice. If you plan to travel to or through the USA, we strongly recommend that you review the lastest information.

For the latest information about travel restrictions, please look for an ALERT at the top of the Department of State's home page at

We encourage any UVic community members who are concerned about how these travel restrictions may impact their studies, work or research to consult the following resources:

International Centre for Students

The International Centre for Students provides immigration, settlement, academic and socio-cultural support for all undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking, exchange, visiting and visiting research students.

In person: International Centre for Students, Jamie Cassels Centre, Room B202d
Telephone: 250-721-6361

International Programs

International Programs provides support for students, staff, faculty and researchers in the Gustavson School of Business.

In person: Business and Economics Building, Room 278
Telephone: 250-721-6419

International Co-op and Career

International Co-op and Career provides information for students preparing for an international co-op work term or career position as well as international students participating in the co-op program and seeking career support.

In person: Business and Economics Building, Room 408
Telephone: 250-721-6583 or 250-721-6076

Faculty of Graduate Studies

For any concerns including, for example:

  • Issues related to your academic progress
  • Leaves of absence
  • International research or conference travel
  • Graduate scholarships or awards
  • Travel grants
  • Oral defences

Contact Cathy Stacey in the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

In person: Dean's Office, University Centre, Room A207
Telephone: 250-472-5187

Support for staff

Each department has an assigned HR consultant to provide support for UVic staff.

Support for faculty

UVic faculty may contact Irene Statham in the Office of the Vice-President Academic and Provost.

Telephone: 250-472-4344

Support for researchers

Researchers at UVic, including visiting scholars, post-doctoral fellows and sessionals, may contact Lori Shaw in the General Counsel's Office.

Telephone: 250-721-7668

Counselling Services

UVic Counselling Services provides professional, confidential, inclusive support for students.

In person: University Centre, Room B270
Telephone: 250-721-8341

For faculty and staff, free counselling support is available through our provider Optum Counselling Services. Employees or family members of employees can use this email to be in touch with Optum while they are outside Canada.

Telephone: 1-800-663-9099* (press 3 for crisis)

Multifaith Services

Multifaith Services provides support and spiritual care for all campus members.

In person: Multifaith Services Centre, located in the Interfaith Chapel
Telephone: 250-721-8338

Off-campus support

Civil-rights organizations:

BC Civil Liberties Association

Canadian Civil Liberties Association

Muslim advocacy groups:

Victoria Branch, The BC Muslim Association

National Council of Canadian Muslims

Government agencies:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

US Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs