In the Know: End of Summer Term

UVic Global Community Newsletter: July 4, 2022

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

Are you leaving UVic after summer session?

Maybe you are finishing up your UVic degree program. Maybe you plan to take a break from your studies at UVic. Or, maybe you will return home to finish your program after spending a few months studying at UVic.

No matter your reason for leaving UVic, take a moment to consider the following scenarios.

If you will stay in Canada

Make sure to keep meeting the conditions of your study permit or change status if you will remain in Canada after you complete your studies at UVic. Your status in Canada should match the reason for your stay. The following are some options for you to extend your stay as a temporary resident in Canada:

To work:

  • You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) AFTER successfully completing all your program requirements. Our International Student Advisers can support you on applying for a PGWP and discuss your work authorization.
  • Winter sessions (Fall and Spring terms) are considered regular academic terms. If you want to take a break from your studies at UVic and stay in Canada, you should contact International Centre for Students to discuss with an International Student Adviser about potential implications on your student status and work authorization. 

If you want to get more information how to apply for a PGWP, be sure to join our upcoming Post-Graduation Work Permit information session taking place on July 21, 2022 via Zoom. Registration is required before July 19.

Career Services is a resource available to all current UVic students and alumni. Their services include online self-paced career preparation modules, resume workshops, one-on-one career advising. Currently they also provide career assessment tests (service charges may apply for assessment tests) which may benefit people with no clear career paths in mind. They can help you improve your Canadian job search skills, provide information for you to explore career opportunities and connect you with other career resources in Canada.

As an international student in Canada, the onus is on you to understand the restrictions associated with working in Canada, and never work without the proper authorization. 

Note: Working in Canada without proper work authorization may result in enforcement actions taken by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). It could also negatively impact your current temporary resident status and any future applications you make under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.

To study:

  • If you have a valid study permit and will transfer to another institution in Canada, you will need to notify IRCC when you change institutions. Or, if your study permit will expire soon, you must talk to your future institution to extend your study permit. 
  • If you attended another post-secondary institution in Canada while on a break from your studies at UVic, you may need to notify IRCC about your return to UVic. To do so, follow the instructions on the IRCC 

As a visitor:

If you will move out of your current housing

Ideas for keeping your stuff out of the garbage:

Other things you may need to take care of:

  • Do you live on campus? Have you connected with Residence Services for guidance about moving out?
  • Do you live off campus? Have you given your landlord or roommates written notice? Make sure you understand your responsibilities as a tenant.
  • If you are moving within Canada, you can consider signing up for the mail forwarding Service with Canada Post to ensure that you do not miss important messages from the Canadian Governments (E.g., BC MSP or IRCC).
  • Consider each account that is in your name, such as your bank account, mobile phone, hydro, internet, cable, etc. Do you need to update your address, or do you need to cancel the account?
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) permanently, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, you must cancel your account.
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) temporarily, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, contact Health Insurance BC by phone and ask to speak with an enrolment specialist about your options.

If you have questions about any information discussed above, please contact International Centre for Students.

Want to know what else is going on? Join the UVic Global Community Facebook Group to receive regular updates about opportunities and events, both on and off campus.

Upcoming Events:

July 21, 2022 – Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) session.