In the Know: End of Summer Session

UVic Global Community Newsletter: July 19, 2021

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seekingincoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

Are you leaving UVic after summer session?

Maybe you are finishing up your UVic degree program. Maybe you plan to take a break from your studies at UVic. Or, maybe you will return home to finish your program after spending a few months studying at UVic.

No matter your reason for leaving UVic, take a moment to consider the following scenarios.

If you will stay in Canada

Make sure to keep meeting the conditions of your study permit or change status if you will remain in Canada after you complete your studies at UVic. Your status in Canada should match the reason for your stay. The following are some options for you to extend your stay as a temporary resident in Canada:

To work:

  • You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) AFTER successfully completing all your program requirements. Our International Student Advisers can support you on applying for a PGWP and discussing your work authorization while your application is being processed. 
  • If you want to take a break from your studies at UVic and stay in Canada, you should contact International Student Services to discuss potential implications on your student status and work authorization.  

Career Services is a wonderful resource available to all UVic students and alumni. They can help you search for employment and provide guidance on your future career in Canada.

As an international student in Canada, the onus is on you to understand the restrictions associated with working in Canada, and never work without the proper authorization. 

If you haven’t already registered for our upcoming Post-Graduation Work Permit information session taking place on July 22, 2021, you can find the registration link available on the event page.

Note: Working in Canada when you are not authorized may result in enforcement actions taken by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). It could also negatively impact your current temporary resident status and any future applications you make under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.

To study:

  • If you have a valid study permit and will transfer to another institution in Canada, you will need to notify IRCC when you change institutions. Or, if your study permit will expire soon, you must talk to your future institution to extend your study permit. 
  • If you attended another post-secondary institution in Canada while on a break from your studies at UVic, you may need to notify IRCC about your return to UVic. To do so, follow the instructions on the IRCC website.

As a visitor:

If you will move out of your current housing

Ideas for keeping your stuff out of the garbage:

Other things you may need to take care of:

  • Do you live on campus? Have you connected with Residence Services for guidance about moving out?
  • Do you live off campus? Have you given your landlord or roommates written notice? Make sure you understand your responsibilities as a tenant.
  • Consider each account that is in your name, such as your bank account, mobile phone, hydro, internet, cable, etc. Do you need to update your address, or do you need to cancel the account?
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) permanently, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, you must cancel your account.
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) temporarily, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, contact Health Insurance BC by phone and ask to speak with an enrolment specialist about your options.

Whether you spent four months or four years at UVic, your time here will have influenced your perspective of the world. You might think that moving to a new country and culture was the most challenging part of your international student experience, but returning home after spending time away is often just as challenging.

It is common for international students to experience a transition called "reverse culture shock". Module 2 on the What's Up With Culture website can help you prepare for this transition. The content is written for students returning to the United States, but it is valuable for anyone who has studied abroad.

Entry into Canada during COVID-19

If you are currently outside or travelling outside Canada, please make sure your Canadian immigration documents are in order before you return to Canada. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel restrictions may also impact your return to Canada. We would recommend regularly monitoring the IRCC COVID-19 website for the most up-to date travel information. At this time, travel exemptions apply to some international students.

While travel restrictions due to COVID-19 are in place, you must meet the following requirements to enter Canada as a student:

  1. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit.
  2. You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan. The University of Victoria is a DLI, and has an approved plan in place.

As a student, you will not be able to travel to Canada if:

  • your study program has been cancelled or suspended
  • you are entering Canada for any reason other than to study

Students may not travel to Canada for their studies without the necessary documentation. Please ensure you have the following valid (i.e. non-expired) documents:

  • Passport, or other accepted travel document
  • Temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization (if required)
  • Study permit or letter of introduction that shows you are approved for a study permit. An approval-in-principle is not sufficient for travel.
  • Letter of acceptance (study permit information letter). A letter of acceptance can be ordered from UVic through your Online Tools.
  • Verification of enrolment at the University of Victoria. A verification of enrolment letter can be ordered from UVic through your Online Tools.

As well as:

  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result. If you are arriving by air, the negative test results must be  within 72 hours of the scheduled flight bound for Canada. If you are arrival by land the negative test results must be within 72 hours prior to your arrival time to Canada.
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • Valid medical exam results (if applicable).

Please note, in regards to recent travel exemptions and restrictions, as of July 5th, 2021 at 11:59pm ET, fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by land or by air, may be exempt from the federal requirement to undergo a 14-day quarantine and take a COVID-19 test on day-8 of their arrival to Canada. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by air will no longer be required to arrange for a 3-day stay at a government-approved hotel. To be considered fully vaccinated, travellers must have received the full series of a vaccine – or combination of vaccines approved by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada.

At this time, the list of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada are those made by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). Fully vaccinated travellers will still be required to follow all other public health measures in place.

For quarantine plan registration requirement, please visit the UVic Self-isolation program website. If you have questions about the quarantine exemption or quarantine plan requirements, please email (Note: Business students should email for help. Continuing Studies students should email for help.)

The onus is on you to prove your travel to Canada is non-discretionary. Ensure you are exempt from the travel restrictions before travelling to Canada. A Border Services Officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada when you arrive.

Before you travel, you can contact the Border Information Service for more information.

Are you transferring to UVic in September from another Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

Congratulations on your admission to UVic!

If you have a valid study permit and you will transfer to UVic in September, you must notify IRCC about your change of institution to ensure your enrollment reporting will be submitted by UVic to IRCC. 

Visit our website for valuable information that will help you prepare for a successful start. 

All new international students should register for fun and informative online orientation events. There will be Back to School Programming taking place from August 16 – August 30 which will include information sessions about immigration, health insurance, and settling into Canada.When you sign up for the major orientation events, you should also sign up for the International Student Welcome taking place from August 30 – September 6.

For new undergraduate students, you can also complete an online pre-arrival orientation program before you arrive to campus. Every eligible student who completes the program by Wednesday, September 8, 2021 will be entered in a draw to win a $500 tuition credit. 

If you have questions about any information discussed above, please contact International Student Services (ISS).

Upcoming events: 

July 22: Post-Graduation Work Permit Information Session

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events, both on and off campus.