Travel to the USA

On March 6, a new executive order restricting travel to the USA was issued to replace the original January 27 executive order.

The university is reviewing the revised executive order and its implications for students, staff, faculty and researchers.

We will continue to provide support and assistance where we can to those affected and will seek clarity about the specific impacts of the order as information becomes available.

We encourage any university community members who are concerned about how the executive order may impact their studies, work or research to approach their advisers, unit heads or supervisors. In addition, UVic President Jamie Cassels has appointed a working group to assess how this executive order affects members of the university community and how best to meet their immediate needs.

Information about requirements for travel to the USA is available at

Canadian immigration advice for students, staff, faculty and researchers is available at

President Cassels' statements on the US executive order are available at

In addition, the following may be consulted:

International Student Services

International Student Services provides immigration, settlement, academic and socio-cultural support for all undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking, exchange, visiting and visiting research students.

In person: International Student Centre, 2nd Floor University Centre, Room B272
Telephone: 250-721-6361

International Co-op and Career

International Co-op and Career provides information for students preparing for an international co-op work term or career position as well as international students participating in the co-op program and seeking career support.

In person: 4th Floor Business and Economics Building, Room 408
Telephone: 250-721-6583 or 250-721 6076

Faculty of Graduate Studies

For any concerns including, for example:

  • Issues related to your academic progress
  • Leaves of absence
  • International research or conference travel
  • Graduate scholarships or awards
  • Travel grants
  • Oral defences

Contact Cathy Stacey in the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

In person: Dean's Office, 2nd Floor University Centre, Room A2017
Telephone: 250-472-5187

Counselling Services

Counselling Services provides professional, confidential, inclusive support for students.

In person: 2nd Floor University Centre, Room B270
Telephone: 250-721-8341

For faculty and staff, free counselling support is available through our provider Optum Counselling Services. Employees or family members of employees can use this email to be in touch with Optum while they are outside Canada.

Telephone: 1-800-663-9099* (press 3 for crisis)

Multifaith Services

Multifaith Services provides support and spiritual care for all campus members.

In person: Multifaith Services Centre, located in the Interfaith Chapel
Telephone: 250-721-8338

Off-campus supports

Civil-rights organizations:

BC Civil Liberties Association

Canadian Civil Liberties Association

Muslim advocacy groups:

Victoria Branch, The BC Muslim Association

National Council of Canadian Muslims

Government agencies:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

IRCC guide on helping refugees

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)