Program list & descriptions

Double and joint degrees with other institutions ( Masters )

A double degree program presumes a student is working towards two different university degrees in parallel, either at the same institution or at different institutions, sometimes in different countries. The two degrees may be in the same subject area or in two different subjects. A double degree typically takes less time than it would take to complete each program separately.

In a joint degree, the academic and administrative management of a conjoint program is divided between the two partner institutions. The program is placed under the responsibility of a program committee that consists mainly of faculty from the two partner institutions. The admission and the registration take place in one of the two institutions; this is also the institution that counts these students. Each institution recommends the issue of its own degree.

The difference between a double degree and a conjoint program is that the latter leads to two degrees of the same type, usually in two different contexts.  

  • Joint degree - you study at at least two different institutions and receive a single degree certificate issued by all of the institutions.
  • Double degree - you study at at least two different institutions and receive a separate degree certificate from each of the institutions.

Co-operative education opportunities

What is co-op?

Co-operative education (co-op) is a learning strategy that lets you:

  • alternate your academic studies with paid, relevant work experience in your field of study
  • enrich your academic studies by drawing on practical, real-world experience from your work terms
  • develop competencies to excel in the workplace
  • potentially pursue work terms related to your graduate research or project
Can you do co-op?

Graduate co-op may be available to students who are pursuing thesis and non-thesis (or professional) degrees. Participation is optional, and admission is determined after consultation with your graduate adviser and department. Contact the co-op program in your degree area for details, or email

Note: Co-op is not open to one-year graduate degrees, graduate certificates and diplomas, and non-degree graduate students.

What other career development support does UVic offer?

UVic Co-op and Career can support you through every stage of your career development, through:

Looking for work?

Apply for all types of job opportunities at

Professional development
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Graduate Students' Society

Program information