Skip to main content

Diplomas and graduation documents

A diploma is an official document that shows you have successfully completed an academic program. You'll receive your diploma after your graduation has been approved by the UVic Senate.

What's on my diploma?

Your diploma will state your name, faculty and credential, plus additional information based on your program type.

  • Student's name
  • Faculty
  • Credential (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education, etc.)
  • Program type (major, honours or general)
  • "Co-operative Education" (if you completed a co-op program)
  • "With Distinction" (if your graduating GPA is in the top 20 percent of your academic unit).

To find out if you graduated "With Distinction" you can view your administrative transcript after your graduation has been approved.

Your diploma will not show your minor, concentration, specialization or option. However, these program details are displayed on your transcript, degree completion letter and certificate of degree completion.

  • Student's name
  • "Faculty of Law"
  • Credential (Juris Doctor or Juris Indigenarum Doctor)
  • "Co-operative Education" (if you completed the Law Co-op program)

  • Student's name
  • "Faculty of Graduate Studies"
  • Credential (Master of Business Administration, Doctor of Philosophy, etc.)
  • Primary area of study (Civil Engineering, History, Law, etc.)
  • "Co-operative Education" (if you completed a co-op program)

  • Student's name
  • Faculty
  • Credential (Professional Specialization Certificate in Special and Inclusive Education, Diploma in Restoration of Natural Systems, etc.)
  • "Co-operative Education" (if you completed a co-op program)

Your full program details are stated on other graduation documents.

Name on your diploma

The name on your diploma must be your legal name, but you can choose to make the following modifications:

  • replace your first name with its initial
  • replace your middle name with its initial or choose not to display your middle name
  • include accents (e.g., Zoë)
  • display an alternate legal name, e.g. maiden name (with supporting documentation)

Except for accents, modifications that you make to your legal name for your diploma will also be made to your student record and official transcript. See use of legal name for more information on where we use your legal name and how to register a legal name change with us.

When you apply for graduation, you'll specify the name you want on your diploma.

Including your Indigenous or traditional name on the diploma

If you are an Indigenous student, you can include your traditional name alongside your legal name on your diploma. However, the application for graduation does not currently support many of the characters found in Indigenous languages.

Please submit your application for graduation without your traditional name. You can then send an email to with your student number and your full name as you would like it to appear on your diploma.

Receiving your diploma

Your diploma will be prepared after your graduation is approved in May or October. We'll email you in March (spring graduation) or September (fall graduation) with options for receiving your diploma.

Make sure you have paid all your outstanding fees and fines. If you haven't, your diploma may be withheld.

Ordering a replacement diploma

You may need to order a replacement diploma for a variety of reasons such as:

  • loss/damage/theft of your original diploma
  • changing your legal name
  • converting your Bachelor of Laws degree to a Juris Doctor degree

Format of replacement diplomas

As of November 2022, UVic has updated and modernized the diploma format to include:

  • Indigenous territory acknowledgement
  • embossed gold foil seals
  • enhanced security features

All replacement diplomas will be issued in this format on letter-sized (8.5x11”) paper.

Order a replacement diploma

Other graduation documents

In addition to your diploma, these documents provide proof of graduation.

Official transcript

A "credential granted" section will be added to your transcript on your graduation date.

Certificate of degree completion

A certificate of degree completion bears the Registrar's signature and the university seal. This document can be provided to employers, agencies and in support of international work visas.

Need help?

If you have questions about diplomas or graduation documents, contact or 250-721-8121