Tia's Advice: Income Tax

UVic Global Community Newsletter: February 25, 2019

Tia's Advice is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

Canada's income tax system

To file an income tax return in Canada means to submit income tax forms and related documents to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Your ability to file an income tax return and your tax obligations are based on your residency status, which is based on the residential ties you have with Canada.

Your residency status for income tax purposes is not the same as your residency status for immigration purposes.

You should also consult appropriate resources to confirm whether or not you have tax obligations in other countries.

Should I file an income tax return?

Visit the CRA website to confirm whether or not you must file an income tax return.

Even if you are not required to file an income tax return, you might want to for the following reasons:

  • If you received employment income in Canada, and income tax was deducted from your paycheques, you may be able to get back all or most of the income tax as a refund.
  • You can claim credits associated with being a student and paying tuition in Canada. You may not be able to use these credits yet, but you must claim them in the year you earn them. Unused credits can be saved up, rolled forward, and used to reduce income tax owed to CRA in future years.
  • You might qualify for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and associated provincial credits. If you qualify, you will receive a payment four times per year.
  • If you have children and they are currently in Canada, you might qualify for the Canada child benefit (CCB) and associated provincial benefits. If you qualify, you will receive a payment every month.
  • If you already registered for Fair PharmaCare and you want your coverage to continue.
  • If you want to establish a history of filing income tax returns in Canada, which may be beneficial if you decide to apply for permanent resident status and eventually for citizenship.

You may be eligible for credits and benefits, even if you have no income to report, but you must file an income tax return to claim them.

When should I file my income tax return?

Each tax year is from January 1 to December 31.

Most income tax slips needed to prepare an income tax return for the previous tax year will be ready by February 28.

The deadline for most individuals to file their income tax return for the previous tax year is April 30.

The deadline for all individuals to pay an amount owing to CRA for the previous tax year is April 30.

Late submissions are accepted, but it is best to file before the deadline. There may be a penalty for filing after the deadline if you owe income tax to CRA. There may also be a cut-off for credits and benefits if you wait too long to file.

Where can I find more information?

Information about the forms and other documents needed to file an income tax return in Canada is available on our website.

CRA has also produced a very helpful online video series for international students.

On February 28, International Student Services and the School of Business International Programs Office hosted an information session for international students at UVic. Blair Dwyer from Dwyer Tax Law provided an overview of Canada's income tax system and answered questions. Here are Blair's presentation slides.*

* Information provided in this presentation could change without notice. For the most current information, always refer to the CRA website.

If you still have questions after consulting these resources, contact CRA directly.

Income tax issues can be complicated and confusing. We strongly recommend getting help with preparing and filing your first income tax return so you don't miss out on refunds, credits, and benefits.

Who can help me?

If you have a modest income and a simple income tax situation, you may be eligible to attend a free tax preparation clinic.

The School of Business will host free tax preparation clinics on campus in March and April. View the schedule and contact cvitp@uvic.ca if you have any questions.

If you are not able or eligible to attend a tax preparation clinic, you may wish to pay a tax professional to prepare your income tax return. Many companies and Chartered Professional Accountants (CPAs) provide this service:

  • H&R Block and Liberty Tax Service are companies with locations across Canada.
  • Chartered Professional Accountants (CPAs) are recommended for complicated income tax situations (self-employment, world income, foreign property, etc.)

Always identify yourself as an international student to CRA staff, tax preparation clinic volunteers, and tax professionals. Make sure the person assisting you is familiar with income tax obligations for international students.

Important Dates

February 25: The final exam timetable for second term exams will be available.

February 28: Last day for withdrawing from second term and full year courses without penalty of failure.

February 28: Income Tax Information Session.

March 4: Post-Graduation Work Permit Information Session.

March 10: Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts, so set your clocks forward one hour.

March 17: St. Patrick's Day.

March 18: Course registration for summer session begins. Check your registration date and time on UVic My Page in the Student Services section under the Registration tab.

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events, both on and off campus.