Tia's Advice: Academic Enrolment Status

UVic Global Community Newsletter: October 9, 2018

Tia's Advice is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

Why is academic enrolment status so important?

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), if you are in Canada with a valid study permit that was issued on or after June 1, 2014 you must actively pursue, and make timely progress towards completing, a program of study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

To monitor compliance, IRCC requires DLIs to submit regular reports on the academic enrolment status of international students.

The University of Victoria (UVic) is a DLI, so our Office of the Registrar submits regular compliance reports to IRCC.

It is important that you understand your academic enrolment status at UVic. It will be reported to IRCC and will therefore impact the validity of your study permit and your authorization to work in Canada.

How do I confirm my academic enrolment status?

The first step is to make sure UVic is the DLI responsible for reporting on your academic enrolment status to IRCC.

If you came to UVic from a high school in Canada, you should have applied to change the conditions of your study permit before starting classes. Please visit or contact the International Student Centre (ISC) if you are registered in a program of study at UVic and your current study permit was issued for study at a Canadian high school.

If you came to UVic from a college, university or language school in Canada, and you are using the same study permit, you must notify IRCC that you changed institutions. Similarly, if you applied for your current study permit with a letter of acceptance from a different DLI, but then changed your mind and decided to attend UVic, you must notify IRCC that you changed institutions, even if you never attended the other institution. Follow the instructions on the IRCC website to submit a notification.

If you applied for your current study permit with a letter of acceptance from UVic, you do not need to take any action. IRCC will know that UVic is the DLI responsible for reporting on your academic enrolment status.

The next step is to make sure you are familiar with the definitions of full-time studies and part-time studies for undergraduate students and graduate students available in the UVic Calendar.*

* Please note that there are different definitions for JD students in the Faculty of Law.

An easy way to confirm whether or not you are engaged in full-time or part-time studies is to check your Verification of Enrolment in UVic My Page. You will find it in the Student Services section under the Online Request Forms tab.

If you are not engaged in full-time studies or part-time studies, according to these definitions, then your academic enrolment status is one of 9 other options. Please visit or contact the ISC to confirm.

What are the implications of my academic enrolment status?

Your academic status at UVic has a direct impact on the validity of your study permit and on your eligibility to work in Canada, both during your program of study and after, if plan to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

As a result, careful program planning is very important for international students.

Seek academic advice early and often:

If you have questions about the implications of your academic status at UVic, please visit or contact the ISC.

Who can help me?

If you are struggling academically or personally, it is best to ask for help right away. Do not wait. The earlier you adress any issues, the more options will be available to you.

The International Academic Success Program (IASP) offers strategies and techniques to improve your academic performance.

University Health Services provides comprehensive medical care for UVic students.

Counselling Services offers individual and group counselling for personal issues and career exploration.

It is important to know that staff who provide these and other support services must respect your confidentiality. They will not discuss your situation with government officials, including IRCC. Regular reports on the academic status of international students at UVic are submitted by the Office of the Registrar through a formalized process and will never include information you share with other support services.

Any time you have questions for the ISS International Student Advising team, please do not hesitate to visit or contact the International Student Centre (ISC).

Important Dates

September 30: Change of coverage deadline for the GSS health and dental plan.*

September 30: Last day for paying first term tuition fees without penalty.**

October 8: Thanksgiving Day. This is a statutory holiday, so classes are cancelled and UVic services are closed.

October 9: Last day for 50% reduction of tuition fees if you drop first term or full year courses. Students must pay 100% of tuition fees for courses dropped after this date. DO NOT assume the instructor will drop you from a course if you do not attend classes. You are responsible for your own registration.**

October 15: The preliminary exam timetable for first term exams is available. Travel plans should be made AFTER the final exam timetable has been posted, because the preliminary exam schedule may change.

October 29: The final exam timetable for first term exams is available.

October 31: Last day for withdrawing from first term courses without penalty of failure.

October 31: Halloween.

* Incoming exchange students are not automatically enrolled for the UVSS or GSS health and dental plans but may be eligible to opt in during the change of coverage period if they choose to purchase a UVSS or GSS membership package.

** Incoming exchange students do not pay tuition fees to UVic.

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events, both on and off campus.