Support for HSD Researchers

The HSD Research Centre provides research support services and resources to HSD faculty and post-doctoral fellows so that researchers may concentrate on study development and implementation rather than research administration. The Research Centre acts as a one-stop shop for research-related information and administrative processes, research account management, grant support, and also supports mentoring and faculty research program development within and across HSD’s Schools and Programs.


If you seek funding to carry out your research, contact the HSD Jasmine Desjardins for assistance with:

  • grant facilitation including administrative review and assistance with signatures and submission to the Office of Research Services (ORS).
  • advising on university and funding agency policies and processes.
  • contract negotiation.
  • assistance with electronic submission systems including ResearchNet and the SSHRC Portal.
  • assistance with letters of support, budget and proposal development.
  • Canadian Common CV support.
  • post-doctoral fellowship applications.
Once a grant or contract has been awarded, the HSD Research Centre will provide services related to managing your research funding. Contact Emma Stuart for assistance with any of the following services:

  • account administration and management including assistance with and review of accounting forms and processes, assistance with expense claims, appointment forms and timesheets.
  • sub-grant requests and student support payments.
  • financial reporting.
  • ethics support.
  • post-doctoral fellowship support.
  • assistance with recruitment and training of research assistants and project coordinators.
  • facilitation of HSD signatures and submission to UVic accounting units.
There are a number of national and provincial granting agencies that annually fund graduate students and their research. These are merit-based fellowships which must be applied for individually. Most of the agencies have specific application guidelines and deadlines. Graduate students interested in applying for funding from one of the federal tri-councils (NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR) should visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for more information.

Your academic unit's undergraduate and graduate advisors may also be able to provide assistance.

Students seeking an HSD director and the HSD dean's signature on an application, or research application summary form (RASF) can contact Jasmine Desjardins.