Professional development and careers

Jill Doucette founded Synergy, a green business consulting company, which was awarded the 2009 Nicol Entrepreneurial Award.
Jill Doucette founded Synergy, a green business consulting company, which was awarded the 2009 Nicol Entrepreneurial Award.

What is graduate student professional development?

Complementing academic and disciplinary knowledge, professional development is focused on expanding and/or integrating knowledge, skills and capacities to support you in meeting your career and life aspirations. 

As a UVic graduate student, we encourage you to engage in professional development planning throughout your time here. 

Learning & Teaching in Higher Education (LATHE) Graduate Certificate

The LATHE Program combines knowledge about teaching and learning across the disciplines to create a future professoriate fluent in the foundation principles of post-secondary instruction. It will challenge participants to reflect on their practical teaching activities in a scholarly way within their disciplinary context. Graduates of the LATHE program will be able to contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning in their own fields, thus preparing them to become life-long reflective and scholarly teachers.

  • Earn this graduate certifcate concurrently with UVic graduate degree
  • Be part of a program that is focused on your future. Enroll in the 16-month, part-time, 6.0-unit Graduate Certificate in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education.

Learn more about why to earn a LATHE graduate certificate.

Learning and Teaching Centre (LTC)

The Learning and Teaching Centre offers teaching assistant (TA) and graduate student professional development programs, including online training modules. Choose from a range of training and professional development options to help you prepare for a role as future faculty. Visit the LTC website and check out their newsletter for more program and workshop information. 

Teaching assistant (TA) , Research Assistant (RA), Lab Instructor and more...


You can apply through your academic unit for paid employment as a teaching assistant (TA), research assistant (RA), scientific assistant, or laboratory instructor. TA employment is through your academic unit, not through the Faculty of Graduate Studies, at rates of pay determined by the university. As a TA, you are covered by a collective agreement between CUPE local 4163 and UVic.

Individual faculty members with external research grants might employ you as an RA. The details of these appointments (salary, hours, etc.) are worked out between you and the faculty member.

Contact the graduate adviser in your academic unit and proposed supervisor for information about TA and RA positions. Get useful information for TAs through the Learning and Teaching Centre.

Work study

UVic's work study program provides on-campus work experience for students demonstrating financial need. The number of positions available is limited so there is no guarantee of job placement if you are qualified to participate in the program.

Co-operative Education and Career Services

UVic Co-op and Career offers a range of career development resources specifially for graduate students.  You can take part in co-operative education and access dedicated career resources and workshops.

You can also:

The Centre for Academic Communication

The Centre for Academic Communications offers one-on-one tutoring and workshops to help you become a more effective and efficient writer.

Check out resources and workshops available for graduate students.

Student mental health
Professional development
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Graduate Students' Society

Program information