Advising and supervising

Your supervisor-student relationship

Meetings and contacts


The Faculty of Graduate Studies provides the following funding for graduate students:

Visiting and travelling students

  • Visiting research students are students registered at another accredited or recognized university who wish to come to UVic to do research under the supervision of a UVic faculty member.   Please refer to the step by step instructions on how to pursue this option.

Dates and deadlines

Information for China Scholarship candidates

China Scholarship Council information is currently being updated.  Contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies (  if you have questions.


Advising and program contacts


top of page

Art History and Visual Studies

top of page

Biochemistry and Microbiology

top of page


top of page


top of page


top of page

Child and Youth Care

  • Dr. Sandrina de Finney, grad adviser - or 250-514-9737
  • Caroline Green, Undergraduate & Graduate Assistant - - or 250-472-4857
top of page

Civil Engineering

top of page

Computer Science

top of page

Cultural Heritage Studies

top of page

Cultural, Social and Political Thought

  • Dr. Emile Fromet de Rosnay, program director - or 250-721-7366
  • Ms. Karen Erwin, program secretary - or 250-472-5185
top of page

Curriculum and Instruction

  • Dr. Todd Milford, grad adviser - or 250-721-7777
  • Dr. Robert Dalton, program coordinator, (community-based EDAE summer cohort)- or 250-721-7893
  • Ms. Fariba Ardestani, grad secretary, curriculum and instruction - or 250-721-7882
  • Ms. Michele Armstrong, graduate secretary, (community-based EDAE) - or 250-721-7808
top of page

Earth and Ocean Sciences

  • Dr. Verena Tunnicliffe, grad adviser - or 250-721-6120
  • Ms. Kalisa Valenzuela, grad secretary - or 250-721-6120
top of page


top of page

Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies

  • Dr. Carolyn Crippen, grad adviser (leadership studies) - or 250-721-7825
  • Dr. Susan Tasker, grad adviser (counselling psychology) - or 250-721-7827
  • Dr. Allyson Hadwin, grad adviser (educational psychology) - or 250-721-6347
  • Ms. Vivian McCormick, grad secretary (leadership studies) - or 250-472-5005
  • Ms. Stacey Brownell, grad secretary (educational psychology and counselling programs) - or 250-721-7883
  • Ione Wagner, graduate program assistant (lathe certificate) - or 250-721-7883
top of page

Electrical and Computer Engineering

  • Dr. Reuven Gordon, acting grad adviser - or 250-472-5179
  • Ms. Ashleigh Burns, grad secretary (MASC & PHD) - or 250-721-8675
  • Ms. Shiho Itagaki, grad secretary (MENG & MTIS) - or 250-721-8781
top of page


top of page

Environmental Studies

top of page

Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education

top of page


  • Dr. Catherine Léger, grad adviser - or 250-721-7369
  • Ms. Emmanuelle Guenette, grad secretary - or 250-721-7363
top of page

Gender Studies

top of page


top of page

Germanic and Slavic Studies

  • Dr. Elena Pnevmonidou, grad advisor - or 250-721-7324
  • Ms. Irina Gavrilova, grad secretary - or 250-472-7316
top of page

Greek and Roman Studies

top of page

Health Information Science

top of page

Hispanic and Italian Studies

top of page


top of page

Indigenous Education

top of page

Indigenous Governance Program

The Indigenous Governance program is not available in 2019/20.  Applicants seeking entrance are invited to speak with an Associate Dean in the Faculty of Graduate Studies about alternative academic programming.

  • Dr. Stephen Evans, associate dean of graduate studies - or 250-721-8735
  • Dr. Marsha Runtz - associate dean of graduate studies - or 250-472-5403
  • Dr. Cedric Littlewood - associate dean of graduate studies - or 250-853-3666
top of page

Indigenous Nationhood

top of page

Interdisciplinary Studies

  • Dr. Cedric Littlewood, INTD graduate advisor - or 250-721-7970
  • Anne Franklin, assistant to INTD graduate advisor - or 250-721-7970

top of page


  • Dr. Maneesha Deckha, graduate program or 250-519-4717
  • Ms. Abby Winograd, grad secretary - or 250-721-8913
top of page


top of page

Math and Statistics

top of page

Mechanical Engineering

top of page



top of page

Neuroscience (Division of Medical Science)

top of page



top of page

Pacific and Asian Studies

top of page


top of page

Physics and Astronomy

top of page

Political Science

top of page


top of page

Public Administration

  • Dr. Jim McDavid, graduate adviser - or 250-472-4293
  • Ms. Judy Selina, grad administrative assistant:
  • Ms. Laura Ngo, programs assistant:
    • MA in Community Development, Certificate, and Diploma programs - or 250-721-8074  
top of page

Public Health and Social Policy

top of page

Social Dimensions of Health

top of page

Social Work

top of page


top of page


top of page

Visual Arts

top of page


top of page


UVic Expertise Database

Browse the database

Experts can be sorted by:

Edit your record

UVic regular faculty members can edit your profile.

Documents required for visiting and Western Dean’s Agreement students

If you want to attend UVic under other approved exchange agreements you must comply with the provisions of those agreements. All visiting international students must provide proof of English language proficiency.

Research students

Whether you plan on coming to UVic under the Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement (CGSRMA) or as a visiting research student on a specific agreement letter, we require a signed copy of the agreement be sent to us for approval.

Visiting students

If you want to take courses at the University of Victoria for credit in a graduate degree program at your home institution, you must submit a letter of permission with your application.

We require transcripts showing proof of a previous degree. Assessment reports are not generally required, but may be requested.

Western Deans’ Agreement

If you want to attend UVic under the Western Deans' Agreement you must submit a Western Deans’ Agreement Application to UVic, which is provided to you by your home institution.

Please note: the university at which you are enrolled in a degree program is your home institution. The university at which you wish to take a course is the host institution.

Additional requirements for applicants from Indian institutions

We will accept unofficial documents to complete a preliminary evaluation, but require official documents to confirm the information we have received if you are offered admission.

For documents coming from any Indian institution, we require official copies of statements of marks for all years and a degree certificate. Official provisional certificates are acceptable for applicants who have graduated within the last three years who are unable to obtain a degree certificate.

Certified photocopies are acceptable, if endorsed by the issuing university and sent in a sealed, endorsed envelope. (See transcripts for more information on official documentation).

Please note:

  • Marks sheets and degrees must be received directly from the university or institution that issues the degree and not from an affiliated college in order to be considered official.
  • We DO NOT accept consolidated or American-style mark sheets/transcripts. 
  • In some cases we may need a complete record of your educational history including your secondary school exam results.

Additional requirements for applicants from Chinese institutions

We will accept unofficial documents to complete a preliminary evaluation, but require official documents to confirm the information we have received if you are offered admission.

We require an official transcript as well as a verified or certified copy of the official degree certificate. Degree certificates should indicate the date the degree was awarded according to the People’s Republic of China regulations.

We do not normally require graduation certificates or certificates of completion, which indicate that you have completed the required number of years of study for the program and have met all requirements for completion.

These documents must be received by Graduate Admissions and Records in envelopes sealed and endorsed by the home university (the chop should appear over the seal). Please see transcripts for more information on official documentation.

If you did not graduate from a designated English-speaking country you must arrange to have all academic records issued in their original language and accompanied by certified English translations.

If the institution you attended cannot translate the documents into English, you must have a certified translator provide us with translations and copies of the documents that were translated. English translations must be literal translations of the original documents.

Student mental health
Professional development
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Graduate Students' Society

Program information