One of the best online sources for valuable records from the Great War will be housed at UVic.
News and events
The History department is proud to host several guest speakers this year!
We are excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for UVic’s new MA Stream in Public History, for students who will be entering the program in September 2017.
What is a Café Historique? A group of interesting people in a convivial café setting, who gather to hear a talk and discuss new ideas about how the past has shaped our present and future, as well as to drink, eat, converse, meet friends, and have an evening to remember.
A blog focusing on the unwritten rules to history, as both a discipline, a field of study, and as a career.
The Program Committee welcomes paper proposals on all historical topics, regions, and time-periods, as well as ideas for innovative sessions and workshops.
Merna Forster wins national award for work to promote women in history!
Merna Forster wins the Governor General’s History Award for Popular Media
- 2016-09-30 October 21 workshop for History and Social Studies teachers!
- 2016-09-08 Co-op and Career Events - Fall 2016
- 2016-04-08 Upcoming Graduate Defences
- 2016-04-08 Jamie Cassels Undergraduate Research Awards
- 2016-03-10 Children of Denial With Elder Larry Grant, Musqueam Nation
- 2016-03-07 Lansdowne lecture with Dr. Khaled Fahmy
- 2016-02-23 Thinking Women: The Life and Work of Michiko ‘Midge’ Ayukawa
- 2016-02-16 Jamie Cassels Undergraduate Research Awards (JCURA) Fair
- 2016-02-15 Chinese Canadian Historical Society of BC Scholarships
- 2016-01-12 The City Talks
- 2016-01-20 Holocaust Awareness Post-Survivor Exhibit
- 2016-01-19 Dr. Stanger-Ross in the news
- 2016-01-04 Sacred Sites: Dishonour and Healing
- 2015-12-18 Register now for Qualicum Conference 2016!
- 2015-12-18 Pro-D Event for High School Teachers Feb 19
- 2015-11-04 Auction to benefit Syrian refugee family
- 2015-11-17 Call for Submissions for Holocaust Remembrance Day Exhibit
- 2015-11-18 Post-Industrialism, Anti-Colonialism and the Arts and Crafts
- 2015-11-18 Dr. Neilesh Bose - lecture Nov.19
- 2015-11-06 Information Session on Graduate School
- 2015-11-04 Ethnohistory Field School in the News
- 2015-10-26 Refugee Committee
- 2015-09-11 Work study positions available!
- 2015-09-03 JCURA winners
- 2015-09-23 Undergrad welcome reception
- 2015-09-14 Understanding the Refugee Crisis - Part II: The Canadian Response
- 2015-09-23 Distinguished Women Scholars Lecture
- 2015-09-03 The City Talks
- 2015-09-03 Indigenous Resurgence and Reconciliation
- 2015-08-28 Letter to Globe and Mail
- 2015-07-29 Fall courses with space available
- 2015-07-21 Asian Canadians on Vancouver Island: Race, Indigeneity and the Transpacific
- 2015-07-07 Chinese Canadian Artifacts Project
- 2015-07-07 Hunt for answers to Franklin Expedition is newest “old cold case” for award-winning project
- 2015-03-30 Cafe Historique
- 2015-04-08 Humanities Teaching Award
- 2015-03-25 Washington Post Article Featuring Dr. Rachel Cleves' Research
- 2015-03-24 Undergraduate Job Opportunity
- 2015-01-27 Pro-D Event for High School Teachers
- 2015-02-12 Undergraduate Scholarship Opportunity
- 2015-01-05 Lansdowne Lecture
- 2015-01-02 2015 Qualicum History Conference
- 2014-09-26 Cafe Historique
- 2014-11-13 Michiko ‘Midge’ Ayukawa Commemorative Lecture
- 2014-11-06 Qualicum Auction
- 2014-10-16 Grannies Grow the World
- 2014-10-09 Movements Undoing Border Imperialism: A Talk with Writer and Activist Harsha Walia
- 2014-09-09 Dr. Eric Sager elected as a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- 2014-07-09 Great course options for 1st and 2nd year students
- 2014-08-27 UVic announces $5.5M multi-partner humanities research project on Japanese Canadian dispossession.
- 2014-06-18 JCURA awards - deadline extended!
- 2013-09-24 Ten days that shook the world – a café historique
- 2014-04-30 UVic launches Colonial Legacies field school, in time for South African national election
- 2014-06-05 CRC Tier II Chair in Modern Global and Comparative History
- 2014-05-07 Project manager for Landscapes of Injustice
- 2013-10-17 Faces of UVic research
- 2014-04-15 Scholarship opportunities for History students
- 2014-04-29 Undergraduate Work Opportunities
- 2013-02-12 Extended Deadlines for Grad Applications
- 2012-03-05 2011 History newsletter
- 2012-09-05 Tamara Vrooman - How a Historian Became a CEO
- 2013-10-01 Paul Summerville Event
- 2012-04-17 12-13 Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- 2012-08-21 The City Talks
- 2013-09-05 Upcoming lecture: Chief Bev Sellars
- 2014-03-06 Living Calendar
- 2014-03-04 Dr. Colby - The West and US Expansion
- 2014-03-04 City Talks Lecture
- 2014-03-04 Public Talk by Eugene Rogan, Oxford University
- 2014-02-07 “Victoria’s Black History” - John Adams
- 2014-02-04 World History Lecture - February 6
- 2013-12-18 Qualicum History Conference this weekend in Parksville
- 2014-01-08 Pro-D Day Workshops for Social Studies Teachers
- 2014-01-29 Guest Lecture: Patrick Dunae
- 2014-01-20 Neil Burton Memorial Lecture - Shark Truth
- 2014-01-20 Book Launch: Undoing Border Imperialism
- 2014-01-17 Lansdowne Lecture - Dr. Allyson Poska
- 2014-01-16 Making a Life in History After an MA
- 2014-01-06 Historical lead research leads to $1 billion courtroom victory
- 2013-12-09 Upcoming Graduate Defences
- 2013-11-20 In Memoriam - Dr. Ian MacPherson
- 2013-11-18 Qualicum Auction this Tuesday Nov. 19th
- 2013-11-14 Upcoming Grad Defense
- 2013-11-06 Bonnie Sawyer - CSRS Public Lecture
- 2013-10-30 ON TRIAL! The Panama Maru in Victoria: Performing a Hundred Year Retrospective
- 2013-10-30 Syria risks losing more than bazaars and mosques
- 2013-10-16 Thinking about an MA in History at UVic or Elsewhere?
- 2013-10-10 Bev Sellars Presentation
- 2013-10-10 The Corvette - Call for Submissions
- 2013-10-10 THUGS Upcoming Events!
- 2013-09-24 Work Study Positions Available!
- 2012-10-23 History Students Represented at 50th Anniversary Awards Ceremony
- 2013-09-05 History Social Spetember 17
- 2013-03-28 History is more than just getting the facts right
- 2013-05-23 Whose History? A Public Forum on Harper's Review of Canadian History
- 2013-05-14 UVic is hosting the annual CHA conference
- 2013-05-14 2014 South Africa Field School
- 2013-04-29 Online Museum Offers View Into Chinatown
- 2012-03-22 Upcoming Graduate Defences
- 2013-02-26 City Talks: “Making Healthy and Equitable City Planning Work: Lessons from Three Continents”
- 2013-02-18 Faces of UVic Research - Dr. Eric Sager
- 2013-01-03 High School Essay Contest
- 2012-11-26 History course in the news!
- 2012-10-03 Qualicum Auction!
- 2012-09-27 The City Walks
- 2012-09-07 2012-13 Work study positions are now posted!
- 2012-09-04 Dr. Marks wins Marion Dewar Prize!
- 2012-05-08 Dr. Lutz wins Craigdarroch Award
- 2012-04-23 Deadline to apply for McKinnon scholarship extended!
- 2012-03-26 Dr. Eric Sager wins the 2012 Paz Buttedahl Career Achievement Award
- 2012-03-21 Seminar Discussion with Michael Gilsenan
- 2012-03-19 Scholarship opportunities!
- 2012-03-15 Lecture on the Future of Digital Research
- 2012-03-13 The City Talks - Seeing Like a City
- 2012-03-08 W. Kaye Lamb Essay Scholarships
- 2012-02-29 Help us with the History of History!
- 2012-02-29 A Lead Up to War? Panel Discussion On U.S.-Iranian Relations
- 2012-01-26 Summer 2012 course offerings
- 2012-01-31 Lecture with Distinguished Women Scholar Dr. Paula Fass
- 2012-02-09 A Commemorative Symposium, 70th Anniversary of Japanese Canadian Uprooting: Reconciling a Difficult Past
- 2012-02-06 Archived news stories
- 2011-12-23 How a historian became a CEO
- 2011-12-23 Lansdowne Lecture: Dr. Kelly DeVries on the Siege of Rhodes
- 2011-12-23 Registration for the 2012 Qualicum Conference is OPEN!
- 2011-11-28 New History Department website nearing completion
See History events in the UVic events calendar.
Dr. Sam Moyn, Jeremiah J. Smith Jr. Professor of Law and Professor of History at Harvard University, http://scholar.harvard.edu/smoyn, is a leading scholar of European intellectual history, human rights, and globalization studies. A doctorate inEuropean history from Berkeley and J.D. from Harvard, Dr. Moyn has taught at Columbia University’s history department and Harvard’s Law School and History departments. He has written several books inEuropean intellectual history, such as The Last Utopia: Human Rights in History (Harvard University Press, 2010), and edited or co-edited many others, including Global Intellectual History (withAndrew Sartori) (Columbia University Press, 2013) and Rethinking Modern European Intellectual History (with Darrin McMahon) (Oxford University Press, 2014). His recent book, Christian Human Rights(University of Pennsylvania Press, 2015), is based on the Mellon Distinguished Lectures given at the University of Pennsylvania in 2014.
His activities as Lansdowne Lecturer will include a public lecture, “Christian Human Rights,” on Thursday January 26th, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. He will also lead a faculty research seminaradvertised widely to faculty in history, philosophy, political science, and law, among other fields, titled “Human Rights and History” on Friday, January 27th, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Law Library 265.Finally, he will also deliver the evening keynote lecture to the Qualicum Conference on Friday January 27th, 2017, titled “Rethinking the History of Social Rights.”
Location: DAVID TURPIN BUILDING- A102
Times:19:30 - 20:30