University Systems service catalogue
Personal web hosting
University Systems allows personal homepages on web.uvic.ca. When you sign up for a NetLink ID, you are automatically assigned a web space on the UVic server. This web space can be used to host web pages, where owners can add and maintain content, as well as set permissions. All faculty, staff, and students are allotted 1 GB of disk space, to be used either for email or web space. All computing usage at UVic, including personal web spaces, are subject to policy IM7020.
Who can use this service?
How do I request or access this service?
When you are assigned a primary NetLink ID, you are automatically set up with a personal web site. The URL of your site includes your personal NetLink ID: http://web.uvic.ca/~NetLinkID, where NetLinkID is your personal NetLink ID.
What is the cost for this service?
This service is provided free of charge up to 1GB of storage.
When is this service available?
This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance. You can be informed of service interruptions by subscribing to Informed.
How do I get help with this service?
Contact the Computer Help Desk for help with this service:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 250-721-7687
- In Person: Clearihue A004 or McPherson Library
- Change access permissions of an item using an FTP client
- Connect to an SFTP Client
- Copy files using an SFTP client
- Create folders using an SFTP client
- Delete items using an SFTP client
- Restrict access to your website: Mac OS X
- Restrict access to your website: Windows
- Restrict access to your website using the UVic sign-in service
- Your UVic web space: where to start