Stores Services Information
- 2011 Scope of Services statement
- How to Submit Electonic Orders to Stores
- OHSE Compressed Gasses Safety
- Step-by-step for Compressed Gases
- Cryogens (liquid nitrogen) Safety
Occupational Health, Safety and Environment
Safety information for researchers is available on the UVic OHSE website and includes information for:
- Hazardous waste disposal
- MSDS forms
- Biosafety information
- Chemical safety
- Radiation safety
- Importing biohazardous or infectious items
plus lots more.
The UVic Purchasing website has forms and information on the following:
and of course, lots of useful info about purchasing stuff.
Follow the guidelines below when using gas cylinders and most hazards can be avoided. Also read the OHSE compressed gases safety document.
- Always store cylinders securely - Science Stores sells bench and wall clamps for this purpose
- Before moving a cylinder ensure that the regulator is removed and the safety cap is in place
- Always use a cart to move cylinders
- Toxic gases should only be used in appropriate cabinets or fumehoods
- Check that your regulator is connected correctly and test that there are no leaks (CO2 requires a washer)
- If you notice a leak, close the main valve on the cylinder and repair the leak
- Close the main valve when a cylinder is not being used
If you're not sure how to use a gas cylinder or regulator, please ask a colleague or someone in Science Stores for help.