The Café Scientifique series is an informal series of talks given in an relaxed setting such as a café. These talks are designed to engage the public in learning about recent research in science. The talks, which are given by experts in the field, provide an opportunity to stimulate discussion around some of the most exciting topics in modern science. Join us for this exciting series of talks in 2016-17! **Café Scientifique is sponsored jointly by UVic's Office of the Vice President Research and the Faculty of Science and is hosted by the Centre for Biomedical Research and the Department of Physics & Astronomy**
News and announcements
Dr. Jon Willis will give a public talk and book launch on his recently published book "All These Worlds Are Yours: The Scientific Search for Alien Life" on Wednesday, October 5, at 7:00pm in Bob Wright B150.
Jon Willis was a guest on the US national science program "Think" on KERA (NPR Dallas), discussing topics from his new book "All These Worlds Are Yours: The Scientific Search for Alien Life."
Research Associate Pavel Denisenkov was among a team that generated an age map of the halo of our Galaxy, as reported today in the journal Nature Physics.
UVic researchers JJ Kavelaars and Michele Bannister were involved in the discovery of a new dwarf planet.
Maxim Pospelov has been selected as the 2016 recipient of the Craigdarroch Silver Medal for Excellence in Research. The Medal is presented annually for "excellence in research or creative activity, including artistic expression."
It is a pleasure to pass on the news that Chris Pritchet has been selected as the 2016 recipient of the Carlyle S. Beals Award by the Canadian Astronomical Society (CASCA). The Beals Prize is awarded biennially "to a Canadian astronomer or an astronomer working in Canada, in recognition of outstanding achievements in research (either for a specific achievement or for a lifetime of research)”.
This morning the LIGO Scientific Collaboration announced that they have evidence for gravitational waves from a signal detected in September 2015. The signature matches theoretical expectations, based on General Relativity, for waves produced by the merger of two roughly 30 solar mass back holes. A paper has been published in Physical Review Letters, and is described here: http://physics.aps.org/articles/v9/17 The theoretical prediction of the gravitational wave signature of black hole mergers was aided by the ground-breaking numerical work of a former UVic MSc student, Frans Pretorius, now a Professor at Princeton University.
NRC Herzberg Research Scientist, and UVic Adjunct Professor, Luc Simard was recently interviewed by the Saanich News, in relation to his role as Instruments Group Leader for the Thirty Metre telescope. The article is linked below. http://www.saanichnews.com/news/367865041.html
On April 27, 2015, as part of the Alan Astbury Memorial Symposium, Dr. Rolf Heuer, CERN Director General, presented the inaugural Astbury Lecture. TITLE: Breaking the wall of the hidden universe - what the discovery of the Higgs boson tells us about Physics, Mankind and the Universe Abstract: With the start of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, particle physics entered a new era. The LHC will provide a deeper understanding of the universe and the insights gained could change our view of the world, and the talk will present some of the reasons for the excitement surrounding the LHC. The LHC is expected to yield insights into the origin of mass, the nature of dark matter and into many other key questions. This lecture will address the exciting physics prospects offered by the LHC, discuss in particular the recent discovery of the Higgs-Boson, and present a look forward.
- Neutrinos Becoming Less Mysterious (June 2011)
- Transit of Mercury (May 2016)
- Samantha Harder wins 2nd place at 3 Minute Thesis competition (2014)
- RSVP - Public lecture by John Mather (May 18)
- RSVP - Astbury Lecture 26 April, 2016
- RSVP - Public lecture by Alice Shapley (March 16)
- UVic alumnus Paul Scholz featured on CBC for fast radio burst discovery
- Astrophysicists in the news
- An alumni interview with Prof. Arif Babul
- UVic particle physicist Mike Roney quoted in Symmetry article on CP violation
- Royal Society of Canada honours UVic Astronomers
- UVic astrophysicist Arif Babul featured on the BBC's "The Forum"
- Canadian Physicist Shares 2015 Nobel Prize
- Compute Canada allocation unlocks multi-million dollar resources for astronomy and particle physics
- Press coverage of astronomical research in BC
- New Horizons spacecraft flies by Pluto
- CFI funding for VISPA projects announced
- Second Bulletin - Alan Astbury Memorial Symposium
- Canada funds significant contribution to the Thirty Meter Telescope
- Russ Robb receives the 2014 President's Distinguished Service Award: Excellence in Service
- Peter G. Martin award presented to Dr. Laura Ferrarese
- Alan Astbury (1934-2014)
- First Bulletin – Alan Astbury Memorial Symposium
- RSVP - Lansdowne Lecture 2 March, 2015
- Masen Lamb awarded Chambliss Astronomy Achievement Student Award
- 2015 Team Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics
- UVic Physics and Astronomy Professor and IPP Research Scientist Robert McPherson Elected ATLAS Deputy Spokesperson
- Canada's superconducting electron linear accelerator produces first beam
- Theory workshop on New Physics at the Intensity Frontier
- Dr. Sara Ellison awarded prestigious Rutherford Memorial Medal in Physics
- Dr. Andrew Pon - Plaskett Medal winner
- UVic's RAVEN MOAO sees first light at the Subaru Telescope
- UVic physicists achieve 100 gigabit/second transatlantic transmission
- RSVP - Public Lecture 8 May, 2014
- Listen to Dr. Falk Herwig's colloquium podcast
- Centre of the Universe summer openings announced
- New clues on the role supermassive black holes play in galactic star formation
- Dr. Andrew Pon awarded 2014 J. S. Plaskett Medal
- RSVP - Public Lecture 2 April, 2014
- CANARIE invests in innovative software projects at UVic
- NSERC Polanyi Prize awarded to ALPHA anti-hydrogen experiment
- Magnetic North IV Conference to attract the elite of magnetism research at UVic
- Possible coastal debris from Japan disaster
- UVic student places in top ten of nation-wide physics exam
- BaBar data raises questions with the Standard Model
- BaBar experiment confirms particle interactions distinguish future from past
- Dr. Alex van Netten - Excellence in Teaching
- New viewpoint on quantum entanglement and wormholes
- UVic shares in excitement over Nobel Prize announcement
- UVic graduate student places in national competition
- T2K collaboration announces breakthrough in neutrino research
- STEHM Microscope featured at the 2013 Microscopical Society of Canada meeting
- Is the search all but over for the 'God particle'?
- Two exciting astronomical events in one day!
- Victoria's strong connection to telescope design
- The Andromeda dwarf galaxy puzzle
- UVic's connection to the Physics World "Top Ten"
- University of Victoria smashes data transfer record
- Stellar engulfment
- Physics & Astronomy - Canada's driving force in research
- A Day in the Life of our Electronics Shop Supervisor
- Higgs boson
- Medical Physics graduate making a difference
- Jubilee Medal in Science - Kevin Hildebrand
- Dr. Don VandenBerg awarded 2012 Craigdarroch Gold Medal
- A rare find of early stage star formation
- Discovery of a dark matter blob baffles scientists
- ATLAS and CMS experiments present Higgs Boson search status
- High energy physics data at 100 Gb/s
- Supernova Sonata - Music of the (Exploding) Spheres
- Prof. J. Michael Roney leads international particle physics collaboration
- ARIEL – World class isotope research
- NanoFab lab opens in the Department of Physics & Astronomy
- Dr. Chris Garrett awarded the J.P. Tully Medal in Oceanography
- Dr. Sarah Ellison awarded the 2008/09 Faculty of Science Award for Research Excellence