Co-operative education

Through co-operative education (co-op), you can alternate terms in class with paid work terms in jobs related to your field of study. Co-op is mandatory for BSEng students—all students in the program graduate with the Co-op designation on their academic documents—and to graduate with a BSEng degree, you must complete a minimum of four work terms.

Work terms are normally four months in length, however, you can combine work terms to create an eight-, twelve-, or even sixteen-month period of work (counting as two, three, and four work terms, respectively). Under special circumstances, you may be able to complete a portion of the needed work experience by utilizing periods of half-time work coupled with half-time study.

If you have extensive relevant work experience prior to entering the BSEng Program, or if you completed appropriate work terms at another certified post-secondary institution, you may be able to challenge or transfer credit for up to eight months of work experience. Regardless of the extent of prior work experience, you must complete at least eight months of your work experience while registered at the University of Victoria.

Approval of special arrangements is at the discretion of the Director of the BSEng Program and the Executive Director of Co-operative Education, or their designates.

What can I do on a co-op term?

There are lots of possibilities for your co-op terms: they can be entrepreneurial, in the private sector, in academic research, or with the government. Even international co-op terms are possible.

More questions?

Please visit the Engineering Co-op homepage.