You can find many forms on the Graduate Studies forms website such as:
- External Examiner's Confirmation of Arm's-Length Status
- Travel Grant application
Graduate Directed Study (CSC 591) Guidelines
Information for Students & Instructors
The date, place and time of the presentation will be scheduled by the graduate advisor after consulting all students taking CSC 591 in the term. Once the place and time are fixed, you are required to be physically available to give the presentation. The course instructors should organize amongst themselves to designate one or more of their own to moderate and evaluate the presentation. The graduate advisor could be the designated instructor in cases where no instructor can be found to chair the presentation.
Please add a presentation component to the assessment section on the Pro Forma proposal form.
- This presentation component should be for at least 10%. This 10% is for the quality of the student presentation, including how the student interacts with the audience.
- The audience will be engaged in providing constructive feedback to the speakers.
- The audience will consist of the instructor, other CSC 591 students, the instructor or designate. The instructor or designate is responsible for assigning the mark for the presentation component.
- Under extenuating circumstances, special arrangements could be made, where the presentation is video recorded and handed in to the instructor before the scheduled date.
- Other faculty and grad students will also be welcome to attend.
Please add a rationale section to the ProForma form explaining:
- why the directed studies is needed, and
- the relationship of the course to the student's existing thesis work. A few sentences should suffice.
- The proposed directed study should not have significant overlap with the thesis research, as thesis research receives separate academic credit.
- The graduate advisor will sign the ProForma after the instructor and thesis supervisor have completed the form.
- Note to CSC 591 instructors: while the instructors of CSC 591 do not receive teaching credit towards course relief, CSC 591 supervision remains a positive contribution to teaching.