University Systems help centre
Obtain an automatic IP address: Windows XP
If you are having difficulties connecting to the wired Internet in your residence or office, it may be because your computer is attempting to obtain a static, rather than an automatic, IP address. In order to connect to the UVic wired Internet, your computer must be configured to use DHCP.
- Click on your Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Double click on Network Connections.
- Right click on the icon labelled Local Area Connection and select Properties.
- In the new window, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list of items and click Properties.
If any IP or DNS information is listed in the new window, you may want to record it in case you need to restore your settings at a later time.
- Ensure the radio buttons beside Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected. Click OK. Click OK on the remaining windows.