UVic Law alumna Cathie Boies Parker will be the recipient of the Canadian Bar Association's Georges A. Goyer Award for Distinguished Service for 2016. Cathie will formally receive the award at the Bench and Bar Dinner on November 12 at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. Congratulations Cathie! http://www.farris.com/farris-lawyers/profile/catherine-boies-parker/
- 2016-10-28 - Victoria Colloquium: Alison Dundes Renteln (USC Dornsife)
- 2016-11-01 - Maclean Lecture: Rupert Ross
- 2016-11-09 - Law Convocation
- 2016-11-11 - Remembrance Day (no classes)
- 2016-11-17 - Justice Thomas Cromwell
View all important academic dates in the Academic Calendar.
- 00:00 - BOAS: Food Drive
- 10:00 - Physics and Astronomy Seminar: "Feedback by AGN Jets from 3D Simulations"
- 10:00 - Using game theory to enhance classroom learning
- 11:30 - Coffee with... Dr. Quentin Mackie "Doing Archaeology on the BC Coast"
- 13:00 - Introduction to Mindfulness
- 15:00 - Drum Circle
- 16:30 - On the Street Where you Live(d): Remembering Victims of the Holocaust through Stolpersteine
- 16:30 - 'SHE WANTS TO BE EVERYTHING': Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, Letters, and Archives
- 17:30 - The Making of Muslim Evangelism: Islam in the Religious Marketplace
- 17:30 - Nile Green - "The Making of Muslim Evangelism: Islam in the Religious Marketplace"
- 19:00 - THE GOLEM with live electronic soundtrack!
- 19:30 - Lansdowne Lecture: TIMOTHY CHEEK
- 19:30 - City Talks: Views from the Balcony: Space, Class, and Taste in Urban Egypt
- 20:00 - PHOENIX: Shannan Calcutt Burnt Tongue
View more coming events on the UVic Events Calendar.
Val Napoleon was honoured with the Indigenous Peoples' Counsel award on Friday at the annual conference of the Indigenous Bar Association. A much deserved award for all of the amazing work that Val does with Indigenous communities. Congratulations Val! http://www.uvic.ca/law/home/news/current/napoleon-indigenous-peoples-counsel-award.php
See more of University of Victoria Faculty of Law on Facebook
John Borrows, Canadian Research Chair for Indigenous Law
Jeremy Webber, Dean of Law
Prof. Maneesha Deckha on Animal Law
Professor Maneesha Deckha studies animal law and is a professor at the University of Victoria. In this video she explains that the laws that we have regarding animals are outdated, and do not reflect modern cultural norms and values. She also describes her research into our lacking animal cruelty laws.