University Systems help centre
Retrieve and restore files from archives using TSM: Mac OS X
The instructions in this document are for the restoration of files and folders that remain in the TSM backup storage, not for the complete restoration of a damaged hard drive. System software and applications should be reinstalled from the original media. If you need assistance, call the Computer Help Desk.
- Open the
Tivoli Storage Manager for
Administrators application (Regular TSM may
also be used) by navigating to
/Applications/Tivoli Storage Manager/
in the Finder.
Tivoli Storage Manager from the list
- Type your computer's
administrator username and
- If prompted, type your computer's TSM node name and
password. If you are unsure of your node name, visit
TSM Administration page and check your node name.
- In the Tivoli Storage Manager window, click the
- Browse and select your files for recovery.
- To view your hard drive, navigate to dept.node.name > Archive Date M/D/Y > Macintosh HD: in the left-hand column, put a checkmark next to your node name. Click the > symbol next to Local. Click the > symbol next to your local drive (this is usually named Macintosh HD).
- Put a checkmark beside each file/folder that needs to be restored.
- Click the
Retrieve button once all files and
folders that need to be retrieved have been selected.
- In the
Retrieve Destination window, click the
button next to
Following location. Click
Select and browse to where you would
like the files to be restored to on your computer.
Click the button next to
Retrieve partial path. Click the
Retrieve button to begin restoration.
- Note: it is not recommended that you restore
files directly to their original location, as you
risk writing over existing files.
- Note: it is not recommended that you restore files directly to their original location, as you risk writing over existing files.
Task List window, which displays
transfer progress, will open. This process could take
several minutes while the TSM server locates your
OK when the retrieval is complete.
- You will be returned to the
Detailed Status Report window. If
errors have occurred, the last error encountered will
be displayed at the bottom of the
Detailed Status Report window. Select
View to inspect other error messages.
- Close the window and exit TSM.
- Locate the restored files on your computer to verify that they were restored properly.
- Archive files using the TSM client: Windows
- Archive files using TSM client: Mac OS X
- Backup files using the TSM client: Windows
- Backup files using TSM client: Mac OS X
- Change your TSM password: Mac OS X
- Change your TSM password: Windows
- Delete archive files on the TSM server: Mac OS X
- Delete archive files on the TSM server: Windows
- Delete backup files on the TSM server: Mac OS X
- Delete backup files on the TSM server: Windows
- Difference between backups and archives
- Recover and restore files from backups: Windows
- Retrieve and restore files from archives: Windows
- Retrieve and restore files from archives using TSM: Mac OS X
- Retrieve and restore files from backups using TSM: Mac OS X