Although the University of Victoria has a first-year residence guarantee, we do have a limited number of residence spaces available for other students. The number of available spaces varies each year.
Accommodation for students not covered by the residence guarantee will be determined by lottery. We use a lottery to determine your place on the applicant list then we make room offers according to that order. We will try to accommodate your preference for accommodation type but we cannot make guarantees.
Applications for the full academic year (September to April) are given preference in our room assignment process. Those who apply for Fall Term only (September for December) will not be included in the lottery but will be considered for overflow accommodation.
Students in the lottery may receive a room offer between May and August, depending on availability.
You will need to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee by credit card or debit. This fee is paid online as part of the application process.
The residence application deadline is May 15. If we receive your application after this date, you will be added to our waitlist.
The application for the 2017-18 academic year opens on February 15, 2017. To be considered for the lottery, you need to apply by May 15, 2017.
Students who apply after May 15, 2017 will be added to our waitlist and may be considered for temporary accommodation.
When you apply, you will be able to rank up to five preferences for housing type (including selecting a building, room type and a community). We will try our best to accommodate your preferences but we are unable to guarantee your request for a particular type of accommodation.
If you are interested in a living learning community -- a residence where you'll live with students who share your interests, you must submit a supplemental application. Applicants will be selected based on the quality of their answers, including examples of:
- experience and interest in the theme
- a demonstrated commitment to continuous learning about the theme
- ability to contribute creatively to the theme.
The applications are evaluated by the living learning communities committee then applicants are ranked according to the quality of their application. Room offers to the Living Leaning Communities are based on these rankings. Applicants who are not accepted into a living learning community will be offered a room in a traditional residence, so long as they have applied for residence by the deadline and qualify to live in residence.
We look forward to reading your application and welcoming you to one of our many fantastic communities!
- Once we run the lottery, we'll send you an email indicating your lottery number and give you an estimate of whether you'll receive an offer. Please note our assignment process is dynamic and room offers continue to go out until the end of August.
- If you receive your room offer between May and July, you have seven days to accept the offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit and emailing us the signed Residence Contract.
- If you receive your room offer in August, you have 48 hours to accept your offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit, emailing us the signed Residence Contract and paying your Term 1 fees in full.
- If you submit your acceptance fee, security deposit or completed contract after the deadline, your room offer will be cancelled. If your offer is cancelled, you must contact us to check on availability.
- If you wish to cancel your residence application, please email email@example.com.
- Applications are non-transferable, your application fee is non-refundable and may not be used towards a future application.
- If you cancel your housing application by September 1, you will lose your $500 acceptance fee.
- If you cancel your housing application on September 2, you will lose your $500 acceptance fee and your $250 security deposit.
- If you cancel your housing application on or after September 3 (move-in day), you will lose 60 days of accommodation and your $250 security deposit. For Meal Plan cancellation penalties, please check with Food Services.