Moving in and out
We recommend that you arrange in advance for utilities and other services to start on the first day of your tenancy. When communicating with providers, use the full mailing address for your unit.
- All tenants are required to have an active electricity account
- Contact BC Hydro to set up new service or transfer your existing service
Telephone and television services
- Internet service can be provided by third-party vendors such as Shaw or Telus
- Tenants can also subscribe to ResNet, which provides Internet access through the UVic campus network
- Note that ResNet is limited to one wired device, and residents are not permitted to use routers (wifi or wired)
- New ResNet subscriptions can be arranged at the Housing Office; you will need to know the data port number (wall jack # e.g. D234) that you wish to have activated
- The cost for the first data port activated is $25.00 per month, and each additional port is charged at $12.50 per month
- ResNet payments can be made with your monthly rent payment
You may check in after 12:00 pm on the first day of the month. Unless advised otherwise you will check in at the front desk of the Residence Services office.
When you check in, you will:
- pay your rent for the first month
- sign your Family Housing Agreement
- arrange a check-in inspection appointment with a Residence Services staff member
- receive your keys.
Tenants in family housing units are given two sets of keys upon check-in. Requests for extra sets of keys must be approved by Residence Services before they will be issued by the front desk, and cost an additional $5.00 per key.
Please note that keys will not be issued before the first day of the month.
Tenants are required to give one month's notice when withdrawing from family housing.
- Your notice of withdrawal must be received by Residence Services on or before 12:00 pm on the last day of the month.
- Your tenancy agreement will terminate at the end of the following month.
- Refunds will not be granted for early departures.
For example, if you are vacating your unit in April, your withdrawal form must be received on or before the last day of March. Your keys must be checked in on the last day of April.
Withdrawal forms can be printed or picked up at the front desk in the Residence Services office.
You are expected to clean the unit to a level that is satisfactory to a new tenant, and ensure that any necessary repairs have been completed. If your unit is unsatisfactory when inspected, you will be billed for services.
- Cleaning will be billed at $30 per hour.
- Repairs will be billed at current labour rates plus material costs.
Prior to your departure, email email@example.com to set an appointment for a move-out inspection. The inspection must be completed before your departure.
You must vacate your unit and return your keys to the front desk of the Residence Services office by 12:00pm on the last day of your tenancy.
- Late departures are charged $10 per hour past 12:00 pm.
- If you do not return your keys, you will be billed for a lock change.
Contact Canada Post to have your mail forwarded to your new address. You can arrange this service in advance of your departure from family housing.