Study abroad/visiting students


How to apply

Application checklist

Application deadlines

Next steps after admission

3-4 months before arrival

1-2 months before arrival

Upon arrival

After arrival

Study permit and visa

Any international student attending school for longer than six months must get a study permit. Students of some countries require an entry visa (regardless of length of stay) in addition to a study permit. Please contact a Canadian embassy to confirm requirements. Students staying less than six months do not require a study permit. However, applying for one will give you greater flexibility.

Mandatory Temporary Medical Insurance (MTMI)

MTMI is a temporary basic health insurance plan administered through that provides emergency medical insurance coverage for international students who are new to UVic.  

Finding a place to live

There are three different options for students:

  1. Homestay is available through UVic’s homestay program. Here a Canadian host family will provide housing, meals and the opportunity to learn about Canadian culture. 
  2. Limited on-campus housing is available for visiting students. Those registered in a minimum of four business courses have priority for rooms. They are available on a first come, first-served basis. More information on UVic’s residences.
  3. Students can also search for off-campus housing through UVic off-campus housing website

Tuition and fees  



Application Fee (undergraduate) 

$142.00 CAD

Cost per course 

$2,939.01 CAD

Acceptance Deposit 

$200.00 CAD

UVic Students’ Society Extended Health Plan

$180.00 CAD (per year)

UVic Students’ Society Dental Plan

$180.00 CAD (per year)

Mandatory Temporary Medical Insurance

$265.00 CAD

Anxillary fees

$290.78 CAD

More information about UVSS student fees.

*Please note that all fees are subject to change. 

Courses and certificates

Each course is worth 1.5 units (6 ECTS credits). Five courses (7.5 units or 30 ECTS credits) is a full load and three courses (4.5 units or 18 ECTS credits) is the minimum course load for international students. A list of business courses open to study abroad students will be available in early spring. You will select courses prior to arrival. GSB International will register students in their courses. You may be able to make some changes during orientation, but course selection is limited. 

Working in Canada

If you wish to work in Canada during your studies, you may work on-campus with a study permit if you meet all the eligibility criteria. Depending on your country of citizenship, you may also apply for a work permit through International Experience Canada (IEC). If approved, this would allow you to work before, during, and after your studies. Learn more information about IEC.

Beautiful British Columbia

Vancouver Island is unmatched in its beauty, nature, and wilderness. You can easily access the ocean and breathtaking wildlife within a short walk from campus.

Victoria can be your starting point to explore the surrounding areas. During the weekends, you can travel to nearby communities. You can go surfing in Tofino one weekend, see a baseball game in Seattle the next, and cycle along the seawall in Stanley Park in Vancouver the following weekend. During reading break, students do trips to visit the Rocky Mountains, Niagara Falls, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Popular links

Student testimonials

“Living in Canada and studying at UVic was an absolute privilege that I will never forget. The memories and adventures that I had experienced helped form my character and gave me a great deal of confidence.”

Annika, European University Viadrina, Germany

“I was having the greatest time of my life here in Canada. German writer J.W. v. Goethe once said: The best education for a clever person is found in travel. I think all of us had great moments and gained unforgettable experiences. We all have a greater mindset and more expertise to share.”

Daniel, University of Kassel, Germany

“I had such a great time at UVic and I already miss it. Victoria is really one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen and the learning atmosphere at the university cannot be better. Surrounded by the ocean and the incredible nature and wildlife, all the professors are so dedicated and the people are stunningly nice. I had the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and I know I will never forget my time in Victoria.”

Franziska, University of Passau, Germany