Working and volunteering

In addition to co-op work terms, you have other opportunities to gain work experience and earn extra income. But remember your studies are your first priority. Manage your time well so work and volunteer positions don’t interfere with your academic performance.

For any paid work in Canada, whether on or off campus, you must have a social insurance number. You must show your SIN card, or proof that you have applied for your SIN card, within three days of the start of your employment. However, keep your SIN card private to protect against identity theft.

• For on-campus work, you must apply at a Service Canada office for your SIN once you have a job offer. Provide a contract signed by both you and your supervisor.

• For off-campus work, you must apply at a Service Canada office for your SIN. You will need to provide a valid off-campus work permit.

UVic offers opportunities to work for an UVic department, a faculty member, the bookstore, the library, the UVic Tutor Registry or a UVic Student Society outlet. You can work on campus without a work permit under the following circumstances:

• You have a valid study permit.

• You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

• You are registered full-time in credit-earning courses.

• The work is within the boundaries of the UVic campus.

 Find on-campus work opportunities at the UVic Co-op and Career Portal.

You can work off campus through the Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) off-campus work permit program. To be eligible you must follow these rules and conditions:

• If you have full-time student status, you may work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full time during scheduled breaks.

• You have been registered as a full-time student for six out of the last twelve months.

• You have a valid study permit and an off-campus work permit.

• You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

• If you are no longer a full-time student or haven’t maintained satisfactory academic standing, you must return your work permit to a local CIC office.

Why Volunteer

At Gustavson, we are committed to preparing leaders to create a better world. Through volunteer positions, you can start right now: take the lead developing your personal and professional potential while contributing positively to the community. Benefits to you include:

• If you haven’t been studying full-time in Canada for at least six months, you cannot work off-campus. Volunteering is a great alternative.
• Build your résumé. Add your volunteer positions and acquired skills.
• Volunteer experience is highly valued by Canadian employers, often as equally as paid work experience.
• Work on exciting, rewarding projects that have a positive impact on the community.
• Connect and network with people who share your passions – and perhaps discover a future employment opportunity.
• Share your culture, learn about Canadian culture and practice your English language skills, all at the same time.


• In the spring, you may join the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). Through the CVITP training program, you learn how to file provincial and federal income taxes to assist students or people in the community. The CVITP is a great opportunity, especially for those looking to add accounting skills to their résumés. Ask our international student advisor how to participate.
• Contact Volunteer Victoria for more advice and information on opportunities.

After graduation, you may be eligible to work anywhere in Canada for up to three years through the Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) post-graduation work permit program. To be eligible, you must follow these rules and conditions:

• Hold a valid study permit.

• Have studied full-time for the eight months before graduation.

• Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

• Apply for the post-graduation work permit within 90 days after receiving either a transcript or official letter confirming your graduation.

• Have completed and passed the BCom requirements and received notification that you are eligible for your degree.