Travel documents

Our International Student Adviser is happy to help you with any questions on travel documents for studying in Canada.

However, for the most up-to-date immigration information, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. You are responsible for keeping valid documents and following the rules and conditions of CIC, so always double-check.

Study Permit

Before you begin your studies, you require a Study Permit. Find information and application kits on the CIC webpage, Studying in Canada: Study permits. For country-specific information, contact the Canadian Visa Office of the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. Once your application is approved, you are sent a letter of introduction as confirmation. When you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry, you submit this letter along with your passport to an immigration officer, who then gives you your Study Permit.
Tip: Apply for your Study Permit as soon as possible after receiving your UVic admission letter since processing times differ depending on the country.

Temporary Resident Visa

You may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada if you are a citizen of one of the countries listed on the CIC webpage: Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors. However, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV. It will be issued automatically with your letter of introduction when your Study Permit application is approved.

Extend Your Study Permit

Check the “Valid Until” date on your Study Permit. Make sure you apply for your Study Permit extension from within Canada at least 30 days before this date.  Find information for mail or electronic applications at CIC’s Studying in Canada: Study permits - extending your stay. Please note that you must not leave Canada while your Study Permit application is in process. To do so risks cancellation of your application.

Tip: Work Permits usually expire on the same date as your Study Permit. You can apply to extend both at the same time. Speak with our International Student Advisor to find out how.

Renew your Temporary Resident Visa

Your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is only necessary for entering Canada. If it expires, you don’t need a new one to stay in Canada. However, you will need a new TRV if you leave Canada and then wish to re-enter . In this case, you have two options to renew:

1.  Before you leave Canada, apply by mail at a Canadian visa office in Buffalo, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle or Washington.
2. When outside of Canada, apply at the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.

Application information is available on CIC’s Visiting Canada: Temporary Resident Visa - how to apply. But for specific instructions, visit the webpage of the Visa Office where you will submit your application.

Tip: for additional assistance, you can visit a CIC office or phone the CIC call centre toll free at 1-888-242-2100.