Before and when you arrive

Please be sure to put your travel documents, health insurance and housing in order before you arrive. Once you do arrive, you'll find our student orientation provides you with everything you need to launch an amazing Canadian business school exchange.

Have further questions? Contact our Incoming Exchange Adviser.

It is important that you obtain and maintain your immigration status with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). To study in Canada, you may need to apply for a study permit from a Canadian visa office outside of Canada. Also, you may need to obtain a temporary resident visa in order to enter Canada. Please check with the nearest Canadian visa office in order to find out more.

As an international student in Canada, you are required to have medical coverage. Medical costs are very high in Canada and you are not permitted to engage in any physical activities or sports without medical insurance. You can find health insurance in your own country or go through UVic's selected health insurance provider: AON International Student Medical Plan.

All students who are staying in BC for six months or longer are expected to enrol in the BC Medical Services Plan. Please apply immediately after you arrive in Canada. The waiting period is approximately three months, during which you need to have a private insurance plan to cover your emergency sickness or injuries.

There are two types of accommodation (residence and homestay) available which are arranged for you through the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business.

UVic Residence

UVic residence is the on-campus dormitory. They are single rooms equipped with shared bathrooms and furnished with a desk, chair, desk lamp, wardrobe, bed and linens for each student. Refrigerators are available at an extra cost. A meal plan is provided for you, which allows you to eat in cafeterias on campus.

Peter B. Gustavson School of Business is allocated a limited number of single rooms in Residence. Rooms will be assigned through a random draw lottery of undergraduate applications who have applied by the May 15 deadline.

How to apply

Register at UVic Residence Services. The form asks for your student number. Since you will not receive your student number until you arrive at UVic, you should enter "V00000001". Submit a $50 application fee. The fee must be received within 7 days of application. This must be paid by credit card when applying from outside of Canada.


Homestay is a popular option for students as you get to live with a Canadian family for your exchange term. The families provide you with your own room and food for $950 CDN per month (plus a one-time placement fee of $250 CDN). Students rave about the opportunity to interact and participate in activities with their Canadian family. You come and go as you please and are treated like an adult - plus, you receive prepared meals. Homestay finds homes as close to the university as possible.

Apply through the English Language Centre's Homestay Program. Please indicate that you are a Peter B. Gustavson School of Business exchange student.

Once chosen, your homestay family will contact you.

Off-Campus Housing

You're welcome to find your own accommodation. Victoria is a very popular city to live in, so it may take some time and effort to find something suitable and affordable. We recommend you arrive approximately 10 days before the orientation to secure off-campus housing. UVic's off-campus housing listings is a good place to start your search.

Please remember to make your own reservations for a temporary place to stay. The International Programs office is here to offer assistance, but you're responsible for finding alternative accommodation. 

The orientation provides important and exciting information about our school, UVic and living in Victoria. It's also an excellent opportunity to get to know other exchange students. In the fall semester, the orientation is scheduled one week before classes start; in the spring, the orientation takes place the day before classes begin.

Important note: the orientation is mandatory, so please arrange your travel dates accordingly.

Victoria is located on the southern tip of beautiful Vancouver Island! As most international flights arrive at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR), you may either opt to book another flight to Victoria International Airport (YYJ) or travel by BC Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria (Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay terminals).

A shuttle bus (YYJ Airport Shuttle) or taxi can take you from the Victoria Airport directly to the university or to the downtown area (approximately 30 minutes).