Program review, curricular planning and learning outcomes development
University-wide learning outcomes
After conducting a thorough review of the learning outcomes (LO) initiatives already in place at UVic, the Senate Committee on Learning and Teaching updated the university-wide learning outcomes which were approved by Senate in 2014. You are encouraged to use these LOs as guide posts for developing program- and course-specific learning outcomes.
Program planning and review
There are a range of resources to support curriculum and program planning for academic units. Tips for the generation of program LOs are included. The Learning and Teaching Centre (LTC) Director is available by request to facilitate retreats.
- A Guide to Program and Curricular Planning at UVic, by Teresa Dawson - hard copies are available at the LTC
- Grants for Implementing Curricular Review Recommendations (ICRR)
Following the ratification of the university-wide learning outcomes, in 2015/16 the university is engaging in conducting an inventory of individual undergraduate program LOs across the academic units. This includes integrating the outcomes for the recent experiential mapping project.
- Blackstone memo - June 4, 2015
- Learning Outcomes inventory form - Please complete this form.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and resources to help you
- Background and context for project
- Experiential education mapping project - As you think about program design, consider integrating co-curricular and hands-on learning opportunities for your students as alternative ways of achieving your program outcomes. These opportunities have been mapped by Coop Education and Career Services.
You may also be interested in understanding how to internationalize your curriculum.
- Program Goals/Course Alignment Matrix
- CourseMapper, produced by Jason Siefken (Math and Stats) and Teresa Dawson (LTC), is software that assists you in the curriculum design process. Start using CourseMapper
- CourseMapper Documentation (suggested reading before you start using CourseMapper)
- Learning Outcomes, Quality Assurance and the Improvement of Postsecondary Education: An Annotated Bibliography, by Lesley Scott
- Learning Outcomes Assessment: A Practitioner’s Handbook