Faculty and instructors
Get support or re-energize yourself by trying something new in your teaching.
We offer support for instructors at all career stages, including:
- Help if you're new to teaching at UVic.
- How to improve your Course Experience Survey (CES) results.
- One-on-one consultations on topics like grant and award applications, teaching enhancement and course design.
- The Faculty Institute of Teaching (FIT) and Teaching Tips Series.
- Professional development and curricular grant support for teaching faculty and staff.
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) mentoring and resources to help you to undertake research in teaching and learning.
- Teaching dossier development to help you document your teaching.
We provide workshops and one-on-one confidential consultations to help you develop your teaching craft. Meet with us on topics like:
- designing your syllabus
- developing a course
- identifying course learning outcomes
- crafting assignments
- deciding on assessment methods
- improving classroom management
- enhancing your course evaluations
- applying for internal and external grants and awards
The building blocks of a course and a program are the learning outcomes.
Start planning a course or analyzing your program by identifying what you want your students to know, be able to do or be by the end of the course.
Design the assignments and assessments to develop, practice and measure students' success to meet those outcomes.
We work with instructors and departments to ensure that course and program learning outcomes align with assignments, assessments and instructional strategies.
After identifying the learning outcomes of a course, you can design the curriculum.
How will the assignments help students practice the learning outcomes, and how you will assess their mastery of them?
We provide one-on-one consultations to help you craft course curriculum as well as departmental retreats to help hone whole program design.