Distance undergraduate students
The school has more than thirty years of experience in the delivery of distance and distributed education. Our distance program is fully integrated with our on-campus undergraduate program.
If you are a distance student, please refer to the section for current students for useful information to support your learning and planning.
Starting Distance Education Courses
You may already be a UVic student or you may want to sample our courses through Thompson Rivers University (TRU). It is important to remember that application to the BCYC program is a competitive process.
If you have been admitted to UVic follow these steps:
- Select your courses.
- Register for courses at UVic
- Create a UVic NetLink ID once you've completed your application and registered for your courses. You'll use this ID to log in to your course websites or online classrooms. If you've had a NetLink ID, either as a UVic or TRU-OL student, check the status of your NetLink ID. If you have difficulty creating or accessing your NetLink account, please contact the Distance Education Onlinehelp Desk.
- Purchase course materials from the UVic Bookstore.
- Go through the student tips on the Distance Education Services site.
- Log in to your course through MyPage. (Make sure your computer is set up properly by clicking on the startup kit and other relevant links beside the course name)
If you choose to take courses through TRU you need to:
- Complete registration through TRU
- TRU students will need to create a UVic NetLink ID. You will receive an email from the School of Child and Youth Care a few weeks before courses start with your assigned V# and information on how to set up your netlink id. You will not be able to access your course without one. If you've had a Netlink ID, as a UVic or TRU-OL student, check the status of your Netlink ID. If you have difficulty creating or accessing your NetLink account, please contact the Distance Education Onlinehelp Desk.
- You can check the Bookstore website for updates on materials you'll need for your course. Purchase course materials from the UVic Bookstore.
- Familiarize yourself with the student tips in the Distance Education Services Course spaces startup kit
- Log in to your course through MyPage. (Note: Your course website will be available the first day of class at Noon. Make sure your computer is set up properly by clicking on the startup kit and other relevant links beside the course name)
NOTE: While you may sample our courses through TRU, please note that in order to complete a Bachelor in Child and Youth Care you must apply for admission to the University of Victoria and the School of Child and Youth Care. Admission to SCYC is a competitive process. The full application process may be accessed on the BCYC website in December each year. The application deadline is the end of February.