Current graduate students
The Department of Biology's graduate program offers MSc and PhD degrees and is one of the largest on campus with 80+ graduate students. The three core research areas are Molecular Biology, Organismal Biology, and Ecology and Evolution with cross-disciplinary research among these areas.
All students accepted into the program are guaranteed a minimum annual stipend of $18,000/year for two years for MSc an and $18,000/year for three years for PhD. Funding is available in additional years of the program but the minimum is no longer enforced. The stipend can be made up from a combination of:
- National or provincial scholarships (NSERC). NSERC award holders receive additional funding from the university.
- UVic Fellowships (minimum GPA 7.5).
- Departmental awards (applications received annually in September).
- Teaching assistantships/lab instructor positions (more information is available from firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Support payments from faculty research grants.
- Application for graduation form
- Graduate course change (add/drop) form
- Pro-forma proposal form (directed studies)
- Leave of Absence with Permission Request (formerly Request for Temporary Withdrawal with Permission)
- Travel grant form
- Thesis/dissertation approval form
- Thesis/dissertation withholding form
2013-14 Grad courses
BIOL 489 CONCEPTUAL FOUNDATIONS OF BIOSCIENCES
Dr. Barry Glickman email@example.com
Open to one or two gradaute students
BIOL 561 FISHERIES ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT
Dr. Francis Juanes Juanes@uvic.ca
FORB 527 ADVANCED PLANT BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOCHEMICAL ECOLOGY
Dr. C Peter Constabel firstname.lastname@example.org
FORB 571 NSERC CREATE TREE ECOPHYSIOLOGY WORKSHOP
Dr. Barbara Hawkins email@example.com