Why study with us?
We welcome students who…
Have a passion for and curiosity about language, are open to thinking in new ways, and want to make a difference by acquiring new skills, new knowledge, and new ways of seeing.
In our programs you will have the opportunity to….
- Experience language in an entirely new way
- Be involved in original research with professors using a broad range of methodologies including cutting-edge labs/facilities
- Further your passion for language (s)
- Acquire professional expertise in learning and teaching a second language
- Explore language-based career options beyond what you might have dreamed of
Through your coursework, you will...
- Gain cultural and cross-cultural competencies in a variety of environments
- Develop grammatical skills, transferrable from one language to another
- Gain insight into a variety of ancient and modern societies as they are constructed through language
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze sources of all kinds
- Present ideas in a convincing and structured manner
- Develop the ability to work independently
When you leave our programs you will….
- Have strong transferable academic research and communication skills
- Possess a solid foundation in the concepts, values, and methodologies of linguistics
- Be able to articulate an appreciation for the richness and diversity of languages and for how and why they change over time
- Appreciate the complexity of linguistic representation in the human mind, and how this representation is shaped, as we acquire and use language.
- Understand the complex role language plays in the lives of individuals, communities, and societies
- Be prepared to advocate for positive social change as a fully engaged global citizen
- Have the knowledge and confidence to pursue the exciting range of possible career and life options available to you