Co-operative education programs
Put your learning in motion
At UVic, learning extends beyond the classroom. More than one in three UVic students takes part in our extremely popular co-operative education program (co-op), which allows you to alternate terms in class with paid work terms in positions related to your field of study. We also offer a shorter, more flexible work experience program option.
UVic's co-op program is one of the largest and most respected in Canada, and our co-op grads are more likely to land a job sooner, be promoted faster and earn a higher salary than graduates who didn't take part in co-op.
As a co-op student, you'll:
- try out different jobs working for employers in your field
- graduate with a great résumé packed with relevant work experience
- build a valuable network of contacts and references
- earn income to help pay for tuition
- clarify your strengths, interests and goals
- build competencies and learn to market yourself to employers
- graduate with a special "Co-op" designation on your degree (after completing all required work terms)
- boost your chances of landing a great job after graduation
Check out our Co-op FAQ or find your co-op program listed below for details.
Robin Parhar completed a co-op work term with a real estate and property management company in Duncan, BC. Robin was able to gain great insights into the property industry and her employer appreciated her energy, enthusiasm and fresh perspective.
Co-op is available for almost every academic program and at the undergraduate and graduate level, and you can work in Canada or abroad. International students with a valid work permit can also join the program.
Undergraduate students can join co-op starting in their second year of study, although later entry is possible. Choose your co-op program below for details and how to apply.
- Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Dispute Resolution
- Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Engineering and Computer Science/Math
- Environmental Studies
- Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education
- Health Information Science
- Humanities, Fine Arts and Professional Writing
- Public Administration
- Physics and Astronomy
- Political Science