Achieve your life-long educational goals


Language revitalization

Tammy Steinwand-Deschambeault (Tłįchǫ), Vance Sanderson (NWT Métis) and Margaret Thompson (Teetł'it Gwich'in)—journeyed south from as far away as Yellowknife to accept their UVic Certificates in Aboriginal Language Revitalization (CALR) alongside fellow CALR graduate Victoria Wells (Ehattesaht) from Vancouver Island.

Read more

From Ontario to BC

When Cathy Butler (Nursing) came to UVic for convocation, it was the first time the Sarnia, Ontario, resident had been on campus as a student.

Read more

Learn from where you are

Distance education is a popular option for families with young children.

Adult learners

Not everyone comes to UVic directly from secondary school. Whether it's been 12 months or 12 years since you were last in a classroom, we can help you meet your life-long educational goals.

Program and study options

Choose credit or non-credit study and participate on either a full-time or part-time basis, depending on your schedule and the program that you choose.

We offer a wide range of degree programs along with diploma, certificate, professional specialization certificate programs, professional development and career-related accreditations, as well as workshops, seminars, individual courses and lectures. There are many courses available through distance online learning.

Undergraduate studies

To apply to an undergraduate degree program if you're over 23 years of age, follow the standard application process. If you don't meet the regular requirements, you may be eligible for special access.

If you'd like to continue with a degree program and you left UVic in good standing, you can apply to reregister. Be sure to talk with the undergraduate adviser in your department to discuss current degree requirements.

If you'd like to take individual credit courses but not participate in a degree program:

  1. If you are already a UVic student you can apply to reregister.
  2. If you have not previously registered at UVic, you could apply for admission under the exploratory studies category that enables you to complete up to 12.0 units without submitting transcripts for prior academic study.

Graduate studies

If you want to begin a graduate program, consult Graduate Studies for program and admissions information. 

Continuing Studies

To explore the many options for diploma and certificate credit and non-credit study, along with a wealth of other less formal study options at UVic, please visit the Division of Continuing Studies.

Frequently asked questions

Are there many adult learners in UVic programs?

While many of our undergraduate students come to us straight from high school, we have many other students who enrol somewhat later in life, bringing with them a wealth of experience.

Some come to UVic to resume studies that were interrupted, others to further develop professional skills, and yet others to explore academic interests.

Age is no barrier to participation in UVic's programs. Many retired people find that returning to some form of academic study satisfies a need for intellectual and social stimulation.

Is there a special admission process for adult learners?

Many adult learners meet normal admission requirements for degree studies and should follow the regular undergraduate admission procedures. If you aren't eligible under the regular admission categories, we will advise you how you might apply within the Special Access category. As noted above, you can also use the exploratory studies category if you're interested in taking single courses out of interest.

If you're already a UVic student, returning to complete a degree or to take a single course, all you need to do to get authorized to register is complete the Application to Reregister form and then register in the course(s) that interest you.

Continuing Studies

A good place for any adult learner to explore UVic options for study is with the Division of Continuing Studies. Its role is to provide the community with access to the intellectual wealth of UVic through its varied and flexible credit and non-credit part-time programs.

You may find it helpful to sample a single course, workshop or seminar - there are many interesting choices with no prerequisites. If your desire to pursue education is related to your work but you're unsure what direction to follow, you could try one of their life/career planning workshops. Once you've determined where your main focus should be, the division's program staff will be there to help you navigate the system.

How do I find out what courses are offered?

The University of Victoria Academic Calendar lists all the credit courses featured by academic departments across campus - but not all of these are offered in any particular term.

Get timetable information for credit courses offered in upcoming Summer or Winter Terms.

The Division of Continuing Studies online calendar will give you information on their full range of diplomas, certificates, workshops, lectures and other activities.

Am I ready for university level study?

If you're new to university studies, it's important to take the time to establish some goals. This will help you to take on course work at a manageable and enjoyable pace.

Those of us who have been away from education for quite a while may not give ourselves enough credit for what we already know and our ability to take on new challenges. If you are studying something that truly interests you, the learning process will be a rewarding experience.

UVic is a very supportive learning environment and you will also find that your fellow students are an important part of that support system. The Humanities Diploma program is a good introduction to university study for people new to higher education.

Do you recognize work experience?

While we value the experience that you bring to your studies, we do not have provisions in place to waive credit program requirements based on work experience.

Some non-credit programs in Continuing Studies, however, recognize a student's combination of work experience and education in the application process.

Do you have child care facilities?

UVic's Child Care Services operates the Harry Lou-Poy Complex, which accommodates the children (infants to three-year-olds) of students, faculty and staff. Parents who are students are required to be enrolled as a full-time UVic student to be eligible for child care. There is a waiting list for spaces.

What costs should I anticipate?

Learn about tuition and fees for credit courses. Fees for Continuing Studies courses are listed with the courses/programs.

Whether you participate in credit or non-credit studies, it's possible to pay as you go, one course at a time and to structure your time in the program and your tuition expenses to suit your needs. You should also budget for text books.

Remember, many UVic courses and programs qualify for tax credits. Additional financial support may also be available through various bursaries and scholarships.

I have a disability; will I be able to cope?

A range of services is available to all new students at UVic through the Resource Centre for Students with a Disability, including adaptive technology, arranging accommodations and alternate exams, note-taking assistance and special parking permits.

All major buildings are equipped with wheelchair ramps, elevators and washrooms designed to accommodate wheelchair users. Keys to operate all electric lifts on campus are available from the Resource Centre.

Most classroom and office doors are marked in Braille to assist students with vision loss. Tactile maps of the campus and of most buildings are also available.

Am I too old?

Never! At Convocation ceremonies we've seen people in their eighties proudly accept their degrees, diplomas or certificates.

People of all ages and from all walks of life can access many forms of educational opportunities through the University of Victoria.

I'm not very good at computer work; how will I cope?

While many students use traditional note taking methods (a pen and paper) when attending lectures and classes, instructors do prefer word-processed assignments.

If your chosen program of study includes specific use of technology you'll be able to assess your appropriate entry level when you apply.

If you need to use computers to do research or assignments, you'll find the help you need (and the equipment) at the UVic library or at computer labs across campus. It's not necessary to carry a laptop around with you!

A great course for people starting to use computers for the first time is Management Computing, available through Continuing Studies.