Faculty of Social Sciences presents John Ralston Saul People in place: the worldview we need Wednesday May 3rd, 7:30pm David Lam Auditorium MacLaurin Building, UVic
News and events
Rudolf Scherban, MA candidate, will be defending his Masters major research paper on Tuesday April 25th, 2017 (1:00 p.m., Cornett Building, Room A317). The major research paper is titled "Application of Constructal Theory on Turner's Social Dynamics"
Jacqueline Quinless, PhD candidate, will be defending her Doctoral thesis on Friday, April 21st, 2017 (9:00 a.m., David Turpin Building, Room A144). The dissertation is titled "Decolonizing Bodies: A First Nations Perspective on the Determinants of Urban Indigenous Health and Wellness in Canada"
Galina Scolnic, MA candidate, will be defending her Masters thesis on Thursday April 20th, 2017 (11:00 a.m., Cornett Building, Room A317). The thesis is titled "Pentecostalism in Soviet Union: A Nihilistic Analysis"
Edwin Hodge, PhD candidate, is interviewed by Rebecca a student blogger as part of the My Uvic Life series about his upcoming course "SOCI 390 - The Sociology of Star Trek".
Congratulations to Dr. Cecilia Benoit, one of three recipients of the 2017 Provost's Engaged Scholar Awards.
A sociological investigation of Star Trek as a cultural phenomenon. Why has it lasted for 50 years? What does it mean to the people who love it? Boldy go where no course has gone before! Fall Semester 2017
The 8th annual JCURA Research Fair will be held on Wednesday March 8th, 2017 in the Student Union Building (Michele Pujol Room, SUB corridor and Upper Lounge). This is a celebration of undergraduate research awards.
The Department of Sociology presents Dr. Stephen McBride, Professor Canada Research Chair in Public Policy and Globalization Department of Political Sociology McMaster University Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 2:30pm-4:00pm Maclaurin Building, Room D103
The Department of Sociology presents Dr. Ziba Vaghri, Director, GlobalChild Program, Assistant Professor, School of Public Health and Social Policy, University of Victoria Wednesday 18th January 2017, 2:30pm-4:00pm Cornett B344
Demy Tabangcura, MA candidate, will be defending his Masters thesis on Monday December 12th, 2016 (10:00am, Cornett Building, Room A317). The thesis is titled "Media Representation of Gay and Lesbian Couples with Families: A Multimodal Discourse Analysis of Proposition 8 Advertisements"
Ashley Berard, MA candidate, will be defending her Masters thesis on Thursday December 15th, 2016 (11:00am, Cornett Building, Room A317). The thesis is titled "Post Your Journey: Analyzing the Formation of an Instagram Support Group for those Living with Fibromyagia"
David Huxtable, PhD candidate, will be defending his PhD dissertation on Tuesday December 13th, 2016 (9:00am, David Turpin Building, Room A136). The dissertation is titled "The International Trade Union Confederation and Global Civil Society: ITUC collaborations and their impact on transnational class formation"
The Department of Sociology invites applications from qualified applicants to deliver the following 1.5-unit Sociology courses during the 2017 Summer Session. For a more detailed description of the course, go to http://web.uvic.ca/calendar2016-09/CDs/SOCI/310.html
Recognized by Status of Women Canada for her work in gender equality, Dr. Cecilia Benoit has devoted 25 years as a researcher to advancing the social rights of marginalized populations, especially women. On October 18, Benoit and five other women were recognized with the Governor General’s Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case.
Congratulations to Dr. Cecilia Benoit, one of six recipients of the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case: Honouring Canadians who advance gender equality
The Department of Sociology will be holding a Graduate School Information event on Wednesday October 19th, 2:30 - 3:30pm in Cornett A125. Come along to learn about the benefits of doing a Master’s degree and some of the resources available to graduate students. Information will be provided on the department’s MA program, along with practical advice on how to put together an application for admission. There will also be the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. For more information, please contact the Graduate Advisor, Dr. Steve Garlick, at firstname.lastname@example.org
David Huxtable and Stephanie Constantine will be the second presenters in the Fall Seminar Series to be held on Wednesday October 26th, 2016, 2:30-4:00pm in COR B344.
Blair Wilkinson and Ashley Berard will be the first presenters in the Fall Seminar Series to be held on Wednesday September 28th, 2016, 2:30-4:30pm in COR B344
This week-long course is open to social science graduate students from across Canada, May 8-12, 2017 at the University of Victoria. This course will be directed by Dr. William Carroll, but will feature presentations, guest lectures and extensive participation from members of the Corporate Mapping Project network, including representatives from environmental, social justice, labour and First Nations groups.
Wrenna Robertson, MA candidate, will be defending her MA major research paper on Wednesday August 17th (10:30am, Cornett Building, Room A317). The paper is titled "On the Matter of Plastic". The defense is free to attend and open to the public.
For archive news older than June 2013, see the Sociology News Archives.
- Department of Sociology Announces: Honours Program 2016 Presentations
- Modalities of Corporate Power in Carboniferous Capitalism: A Provisional Framework
- Getting Personal: Social Scientists share their stories from their research
- Global Development Studies (Masters program) at Queen's University
- Expose, Oppose, Propose: Cognitive Praxis in the Struggle for Global Justice
- Dr. Aaron Devor - World's Only Chair in Transgender Studies
- Garry Gray: media article on the thalidomide crisis published
- Bill Carroll, co-director on a 6-year $2.5 million SSHRC funded project studying the oil, gas and coal industries in BC, Albert and Saskatchewan
- Garry Gray interviewed on CBC Calgary Morning Show Eyeopener: "Academic Freedom in Canadian Universities"
- Big Oil U: Beware companies bearing gifts - Conflicts of interest becoming more prevelant as post-secondary funding models change
- Fulbright Canada Programs - Awards and Deadlines
- Dr. Pia Kontos - Co-Presented by the Department of Sociology and the Centre on Aging
- Call for Proposals: Moving Trans* History Foward 2016 - Building Communities* Sharing Connections
- Graduate School Information Session - Wednesday October 7, 2015
- Mixed unions: The ideal? or 'brownwashing?'
- Masters Oral Exam Announcement - LEI CHAI
- Congratulations to Rebeccah Nelems, Trudeau Scholar!
- William Carroll - 2015 Winner of the Canadian Review of Sociology Best Article Award
- Masters Oral Examination Announcement - Logan Macnair
- Cecilia Benoit, Mikael Jansson, Chris Atchison et al - CIHR Catalyst Grant recipients
- 7th Annual Sociology Honours Research Symposium - March 24
- Aaron Devor - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
- Understanding Genocide: A Personal Journey
- Counsellors Q&A - From Coast to Coast, Counsellors Practice Empathy and Understanding - Transgender Youth
- Bill C-279 - Transgender rights - protection from discrimination
- Aaron Devor provides academic context on "Transforming Gender" - CBC documentary
- New CBC documentary on trans* people called "Transgendering Gender"
- Garry Gray - TEDx talk: TRUST IN RESEARCH: The Ethics of Knowledge Production
- PhD oral examination announcement - Lois Stewart
- Masters oral examination announcement - Rebecca Shrubb
- Masters oral examination announcement - Gaelle Nicolussi Rossi
- PhD oral examination announcement - Jean Philippe Sapinski
- Past Honours student achievement - Olivia Merritt published in International Journal of Social Science Studies
- Summer 2015 Sessional Job Postings
- Cecilia Benoit, Chris Atchison, Mikael Jansson et al. - National Report on the Canadian sex industry
- Garry Gray interviewed about white-collar crime
- Barry Edmonston - Press Release Immigrant Homeownership
- Recent graduates - Mushira Khan and Albrecht Berg
- Garry Gray interviewed on CTV-VI about community notification of sexual offenders
- Cecilia Benoit, Co-Principal Investigator, awarded a CIHR bridge grant
- Congratulations to Zheng Wu, Neena Chappell, Feng Hou, and Margaret Penning - SSHRC grant recipients
- Recent graduates - Amy Hudson and Denise Mahon and Martha Jansenberger
- Masters oral examination announcement - Albrecht Berg
- Masters oral examination announcement - Mushira Khan
- Masters oral examination announcement - Martha Jansenberger
- Cecilia Benoit - CIHR grant recipient
- Masters oral examination announcement - Denise Mahon
- Congratuations to Helga Hallgrimsdottir, Catherine Althaus and Cecilia Benoit - CIHR planning grant recipients!
- Congratulations to the Urban Studies Committee!
- Masters Oral Examination Announcement - Katie Tsuji
- Masters Oral Examination Announcement - Allison Whitney