Dr. Alok Kumar
Dr. Alok Kumar received his PhD from Queen’s University. His areas of interest are macroeconomics and development economics.
He has made major contributions on the issues related to inflation, entrepreneurship, productivity growth, and child labor and human capital in developing countries. He has published in leading journals such as International Economic Review and Review of Economic Dynamics.
- monetary issues
- growth and development
- gender bias and human capital investment
- foreign aid
Faces of UVic Research video
In this video, Alok talks about his research work looking at gender bias and human capital investment.
- ECON 329, Development and Economics
- ECON 351, Mathematical Economics II: An Introduction to Dynamic Methods
- ECON 406, Monetary Economics
- ECON 420, Theory of Economic Development
- ECON 501, Macroeconomic Analysis
- ECON 506, Monetary Theory and Policy
- ECON 520, Economic Development
- ECON 552, Macroeconomic Issues
(for complete list, check Dr. Kumar's website):
- “Urbanization, human capital, and cross-country productivity differences” with Brianna Kober, Economic Letters, 2012, to appear.
- “Market Power, Price Adjustment, and Inflation’’, with Allen Head and Bev Lapham, February 2010, International Economic Review, 51(1),73-98.
- “Inflation and the Dispersion of Real Wages’’, May 2008, International Economic Review, 49(2), 377-399 (Lead Article).
- “Capital Tax, Minimum Wage, and Labor Market Outcomes’’, January 2008, Review of Economic Dynamics, 11(1), 133-154. Among the hottest twenty-five articles published in Review of Economic Dynamics.
- "Price Dispersion, Inflation, and Welfare”, with Allen Head, May 2005, International Economic Review, 46(2), 533-572. Among top ten most cited papers published in International Economic Review during 2005-08.
- “Governance, Social and Physical Infrastructure, and Development’’ , Editors: Alok Kumar & Adam Scott, September 2011, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany, ISBN 978-3-8454-7658-2
- "Monetary, Fiscal, and Labor Market Policies in Frictional Economies", April 2010, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany, ISBN 978-3-8383-4828-5.
- "Taxes, Minimum Wage and the Dispersion of Wages”, in Taxation, Tax Policies, and Income Taxes, Ed. W.J. Berube and C. N. Pinto, Nova Sciences Publishers, NY, February 2010, ISBN-10: 160741623.