Although the University of Victoria has a first-year residence guarantee, we do have a limited number of residence spaces available for other students, including graduate students. We reserve a number of bachelor, one-bedroom apartments, dormitory and cluster rooms for graduate students. These spaces are available for the full academic year only (September to April).
Room offers for students not covered by the residence guarantee are determined by a lottery system. We will try to accommodate your preference for accommodation type but we cannot make guarantees.
Students in the lottery may receive a room offer between May and August, depending on availability.
Before you begin your residence application, make sure you have your NetLink ID and an email address that you will use for at least the next 12 months. You will need to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee by credit card. This fee is paid online as part of the application process.
The residence application deadline is May 15. If we receive your application after this date, you will be added to our waitlist.
The application for the 2017-18 academic year opens on February 15, 2017. To be considered for the lottery, you need to apply by May 15.
When you apply, you will be able to rank up to three preferences for housing type (including selecting a building and room type). We will try our best to accommodate your preferences but we are unable to guarantee your request for a particular type of accommodation.
If there is someone you’d like to share a room with, we’ll do our best to accommodate your request but we cannot make guarantees. You may request a roommate in your residence application. Roommate requests must be mutually confirmed to be considered.
- Once we run the lottery, we will send you an email indicating your lottery number and we will give you an estimate of whether or not you may receive an offer. Please note our assignment process is dynamic and room offers continue to go out until the end of August.
- If you receive your room offer between May and July, you have seven days to accept the offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit and emailing us the signed Residence Contract.
- If you receive your room offer in August, you have 48 hours to accept your offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit, emailing us the signed Residence Contract and paying your Term 1 fees in full.
- If you submit your acceptance fee, security deposit or completed contract after the deadline, your room offer will be cancelled. If your offer is cancelled, you must contact us to check on availability.
- If you wish to cancel your residence application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are non-transferable. Your application fee is non-refundable and may not be used towards a future application.
- If you cancel your housing application by September 1, you will lose your $500 acceptance fee.
- If you cancel your housing application on September 2 , you will lose your $500 acceptance fee and your $250 security deposit.
- If you cancel on or after September 3 (move-in day),you will lose 60 days of accommodation and your $250 security deposit. For Meal Plan cancellation penalties, please check with Food Services.
Spring residence (January to April)
If you're interested in spring residence, housing is available from January to April to students who meet the academic criteria. The portal application and details about the assignment process become accessible on our website mid-October.
Summer residence (May to August)
If you wish to extend your existing residence contract and stay in your room from May to August, you must make arrangements with Residence Services in January by sending an email to email@example.com.
If you're not currently living in residence and are seeking accommodations between May and August, you can apply for summer residence. You must stay for at least 30 consecutive nights and apply at least seven (7) days before your arrival date.
For durations less than 30 nights and requests on short notice, refer to visitor accommodation.