Please visit our grants facilitation pages for tips and resources on preparing your application.
The Office of Research Services provides internal grants in the form of “seed” grants to help faculty prepare for larger external grants. These include internal research/creative project grants, small grants to assist with research-related travel costs and research grants in lieu of salary.
- The external grants section provides an overview of major funding competitions at the national and international level, including Tri-Council, MITACS, Grand Challenges and selected other opportunities.
- Funding agencies at a glance
- International funding opportunities
- Funding opportunities for post-doctoral fellows
- Research grants & awards for graduate students
Special funding programs
- Special funding programs are institutional-level programs supported by UVic according to the CRC/CFI strategic research plan. Current programs include the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), the British Columbia Knowledge Development Fund (BCKDF), Canada Research Chairs (CRC) and Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD).
Awards & honours
- The awards & honours section provides information on applying for or nominating a colleague to receive an award or honour for their research contributions.
Grants (internal and external)
Jessica Worsley, Research Programs Liaison
Dr. Nicole Kitson, Senior Grants Officer (pre-award)
Debra Anderson, Manager, Research Finances and Budgets (post-award)
Special Funding Programs
Mike England, Institutional Programs Liaison
Dr. Joaquin Trapero, Manager, Institutional Programs
Awards & Honours
Brad Buie, External Awards Facilitator
A principal investigator (PI) must be designated within a research team to assume the following responsibilities:
- complete and sign the UVic Research Application Summary Form and append it to their research application or proposal
- complete a conflict of interest declaration
- obtain all required proposal signatures and approvals (see University Policy # FM5100 Signing Authority)
- if applicable, append the agency guidelines stating that overhead is not an eligible expense or outlining the agency’s position regarding overhead
- obtain all required sponsor contracts or agreements signatures and approvals
- ensure, in cooperation with the co-investigators, that the research team adheres to all UVic research and regulatory (ethics) policies
- ensure that the grant or contract award is used only for its specified purpose,
- handle post-award financial administration of the project account, maintain signing authority and responsibility for any project overages