The Office of Research Services provides internal grants in the form of “seed” grants to help faculty prepare for larger external grants and to disseminate the research results. These include support for the publications of scholarly books and creative work, internal research/creative project grants, small grants to assist with research-related travel costs and research grants in lieu of salary.
- The external grants section provides an overview of major funding competitions at the national and international level, including Tri-Council, MITACS, Grand Challenges and selected other opportunities.
- Funding agencies at a glance
- International funding opportunities
- Funding opportunities for post-doctoral fellows
- Research grants & awards for graduate students
Special funding programs
- Special funding programs are institutional-level programs supported by UVic according to the CRC/CFI strategic research plan. Current programs include the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), the British Columbia Knowledge Development Fund (BCKDF), Canada Research Chairs (CRC) and Western Economic Diversification Canada (WED).
Awards & honours
- The awards & honours section provides information on applying for or nominating a colleague to receive an award or honour for their research contributions
Please visit our grants facilitation pages for tips and resources on preparing your application.
Grants (internal and external)
Nykita Downie, Research Programs Liaison
Dr. Nicole Kitson, Senior Grants Officer (pre-award)
Debra Anderson, Manager, Research Finances and Budgets (post-award)
Jessica Worsley, International Grants Facilitator
Special Funding Programs
Mike England, Institutional Programs Liaison
Dr. Joaquin Trapero, Director, Institutional Programs
Jill Taylor, Special Projects Officer
Awards & Honours
Brad Buie, External Awards Facilitator
All external grant applications must be approved internally before submission to the funding agency. Please submit a completed Research Application Summary Form (RASF) and hard copy of the funding application to ORS by the internal deadline.
The RASF requires the following signatures and must be completed for both Principal Investigators and if you are a co-applicant on a joint application with another institution:
- Principal Investigator (PI), or UVic co-applicant if applying with an external PI
- Department Chair
- Research Centre Director, if applicable
- Dean of Faculty
Internal deadlines: Unless otherwise noted, the internal ORS deadline for all funding competitions is 5 working days prior to the external funder's deadline.
Principal Investigator Responsiblilities
To apply for a funding opportunity, a principal investigator (PI) must be designated to assume the following responsibilities:
- complete a UVic Research Application Summary Form (RASF) and, if applicable, a conflict of interest declaration
- obtain all required signatures on both the RASF and research application (see University Policy # FM5100 Signing Authority)
- if applicable, append the agency guidelines stating that indirect costs (overhead) are not an eligible expense or outlining the agency’s position regarding overhead
- obtain all required sponsor contract or agreement signatures and approvals
- ensure, in cooperation with the co-investigators, that the research team adheres to all UVic research and regulatory (ethics) policies
- ensure that the grant or contract award is used only for its specified purpose
- handle post-award financial administration of the project account, maintain signing authority and responsibility for any project overages
Grants facilitation is offered at both the university and faculty-level to assist you in preparing your application.